Windows programmer needing hardware advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by binarysmurf, Jun 2, 2008.

1. binarysmurf macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm an experienced C++ programmer (under w9x, XP) and I'd like to switch over to coding for Mac as a challenge, and a potential career change (in terms of programming for Mac OS X). Do I buy a MacBook Pro or a Mac Pro in terms of actual development? I'm generally inclined towards a Mac Pro with all the fruit, but maybe that's just a windows mindset.

Obviously the Macbook, and the Macbook Pro can do the iTunes/Web/Photo thing,which I think is useful, but are they good enough for crunching code? I lean towards the Mac Pro..which is more expensive. I don't need the portability of the others.

Thoughts appreciated..

Smurf

2. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Xcode ( comes with Leopard) will run very nicely on a current intel macbook so anything above that is a bonus and really only dictated to by your finances and your own personal expectations in terms of performance and user experience.

I think Xcode and, for example, the iphone SDK will amaze you in it's capability - you will certainly enjoy your coding experience on it - I know a few people who have come new to Mac coding and have been surprised by how complete and enjoyable it is ( coders huh!)

My personal view is that a Mac Pro is overkill in a big way - it's immense horsepower is usually exploited by those requiring to do major rendering. I think the power and portability of a Macbook Pro is a big plus and I think you would be seriously impressed by a Macbook Pro in lots of ways and will find as a coding tool and a general purpose computer it will give years of great service...

Good luck with your new adventure - I think your getting on board the Mac at a very interesting time!

Number of things to consider - 1) A good Mac app will get featured on Apple downloads 2) An iPhone app can appear in the app store on all iPhones and iPod touches - both of these scenarios will give great commercial visibility to anything you actually code and deliver.

3. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

macbook is fine, but i am a mac OSX programmer and i use a macbook and it works fine for the apps(which are mostly java and C++) i create

4. binarysmurf thread starter macrumors newbie

Hardware

Thanks for the input - Now all I need to do is work out things like Cocoa and Carbon! Best find a more appropriate forum!

Regards,
    Smurf