Windows Programs Mac cannot install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cyber291, Jun 12, 2010.

1. cyber291 macrumors newbie

Please help me, I'm writing a essay on Macs and I NEED to know what Windows programs Mac cannot install. Please help, I really need help on this. Thanks, in advance! I know that Mac cannot install Windows but I just need to know, THANKS!!!

2. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

The answer for what Windows programs can be installed in OS X is "no windows programs". This would mean there would need to be a native OS X version of a program, which would no longer be a Windows program. There are ways to install a full version of Windows, either using bootcamp to setup a dual-boot on intel macs, or through virtualization like parallels or vmware (or virtualPC on ppc macs). Then you can install windows programs in windows on your mac.

There are fringe solutions like crossover, but I don't think it's too practical for most users.

-Lee

3. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You can write an essay in TextEdit, comes with the mac.

5. cyber291 thread starter macrumors newbie

Err.. guys, I just want a list of Windows programs that Mac cannot install... sorry but it didn't really help.... just a few would do

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Nothing. Provided you have either bootcamp or a VM, you can install any windows program.

EDIT: I think I get it, you could just try anything from the company Autodesk, or Solidworks. Those are some high profile apps missing for mac.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

read lee's answer again. sorry, but he is right.

for Mac word processors the main ones are Word 2008 (part of Office 2008 for Mac), Pages (part of iWord '09) and Writer (part of OpenOffice) + there are a few others.

if you want Word for Windows you can install it in Boot Camp or in VMware/Parallels or even crossover as lee explained http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ but not as recommended as the others.

8. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Aside from the nonsensical question, this really isn't the right forum for this. This forum is for programming questions, not questions about running software.

9. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

You are asking for a comprehensive list of all Windows programs. Such a list doesn't exist. If you are looking for programs that are available for Windows and have no OS X port, that's more complicated. You can list most games (Blizzard and now Valve being exceptions), things like Microsoft Visual Studio, Internet Explorer (the latest version for OS X is very old), Microsoft Visio, etc.

Also to others responding with OS X word processors, I think the OP just means the topic is the Mac, not that they cannot find a word processor. "On" is ambiguous here. Thanks, English!

-Lee