Windows registration on Parallels

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mbplover, Sep 14, 2010.

1. mbplover macrumors newbie

I had installed Windows 7 on my Macbook pro before I tried parallels 5, and gave up because I have to get new registration for my Windows and MS Office (which means I have to purchase another licence for each). Can any one help how to go around this? Does the new Parallels 6 overcome this problem? (I did ring MS - not able to help). mbplover

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you activated windows 7, you'll need to call to activate it. When the activation fails it provides a phone number to call. Once you do that you can easily explain its the same computer and they'll give you a new activation number to use.

Many people have done this without any issues as you're still in the license agreement, i.e., running windows on a single computer.

3. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

maflynn solution should work. I now have to phone Microsoft to activate my Windows 7 on my desktop because I've had to reinstall it so many times (thank you Ubuntu for breaking my partitions) that my key has been flagged as suspicious.

4. mbplover thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you. Yes I guess I should do that which I did read. It's just I live here downunder in Aussieland, with the time zone difference. That's no excuse of course. Thanks again.:apple:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No problem, of course you'll probably be calling india anyways so that's a closer time zone then the US.

6. Flyinb macrumors member

It's automated you wont talk with anyone, and when it asks you how many computers you have this copy of windows installed on always say 1. I have done this many times and always works.

7. mbplover thread starter macrumors newbie