Windows rejecting internet from Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jmj2014, Sep 5, 2010.

1. jmj2014 macrumors newbie

The dorm I'm in doesn't have Wifi, which is a problem, because both my iPod and printer need a wireless network. So I'm sharing my connection from an ethernet cable over Airport, and both my printer and my iPod can pick it up. However, my roommates, who are equally frustrated by the lack of wifi in our apartment, cannot connect to my network, which is encrypted. Both of my roommates have Dell laptops - one is an older laptop which runs Windows XP, and one is an newer XPS which runs Windows 7. I myself have a 13' MacBook Pro, if any of that information is relevant. I would like to know how to get their computers onto the network so I don't feel so bad having internet while they don't.

2. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

What is happening to them? Are they connecting but recieving no Internet Access? Are they completely unable to connect?

3. jmj2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Have you tried changing the password? Perhaps they are trying the wrong one?

OR

Were they connected once? When the Network had no password?

In either case, get both the Windows laptops to forget any trace of your network, this should give them a fresh start when connecting.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

try having them open up command prompt, type in:

netsh winsock reset

and then hit enter and restart the machine and try and connect again.

That being said windows has a hell of a time with adhoc networks.

6. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Yea was a nightmare with my Ad-Hoc in my room, The Win7 machines kept on fine, my friends Ye Olde Dell 'Paving Slab Model' with XP kept dropping out untill the point I stopped caring. Vista had some initial issues connecting, but stayed on once connected.

The interesting thing is, that shouldnt be happening here really. Its a normal network with the Apple Airport, I connect to my friends Airport when I stop at his house fine.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

pain from using ad hoc = never ending

pain from spending $50 for a router = $50.

i know what i'd prefer.

8. jmj2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know what I'd prefer as well, but routers are not allowed on campus.

Anyway, I'll try all those things next time I get the chance. Thanks for your help, and if you have any more suggestions by all means keep them coming.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

what about switches? :p they arent routers ;)

that really sucks man. i would die!

10. jmj2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

They're banned too. Damn ISP thought of everything.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

seriously!? wow that is annoying. you might need to setup some sort of DMZ thing there. or continue with internet sharing of some kind.

12. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

That sucks, There must have been a lot of internet sharing going on for the ISP to not allow routers or switches. It happens all the time in the barracks on the marine base near me but the ISP still allows routers, they just send someone out once and a while and shut down accounts that have unsecured networks or have excessive use/more IP's then is needed for one room. Good news is all your stuff works!