Windows Remote Desktop on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swwack91, Jul 25, 2007.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

What's the best FREE IF POSSIBLE way to remote control a windows computer from a Mac?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Microsoft Remote Desktop Client is free (and also already on your computer in the Office folder, if you have Office for Mac).

CoRD is another free option. Some people swear by it, but I personally prefer MS's product.

Both work with any version of Windows that supports remote clients (I think with XP, XP Pro might be required; I primarily use it with Win2003TS).

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

If the Windows PC is WinXp Pro or Vista Ultimate or Business, then RDC is a good way to control it remotely. If it is not, then VNC is your best bet.

4. applehero macrumors 6502

I use RDC with WinXP Pro on a daily basis as I work from home and have to RDC to my work computer. It is flawless. I did have to remap some OS X functions on my keyboard though as the default one were interfering with the windows function keys.

As a side note, I find that RDC works best if you have a 2 button mouse as well.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it does have an option to allow things like ctrl-clicking (I seem to remember that I get by fine on my iMac which has a one button Apple Wireless Mouse, but I don't remember if I use ctrl-click or what), and it also respects any OS X driver functionality. So for instance, if you are using a scrolling Apple trackpad that supports two finger right-click (natively or via iScroll2) or a corner tap for right click (Sidetrack), that works inside the Windows session also.

6. bloodycape macrumors 65816

I would like to try Cord, but the site won't let me download it. Seems like their link is broken or something. Do you have an alternative link to where I can download it?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Not off hand. It's probably down temporarily. Try again later?

8. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I've spent a lot of time switching back and forth between CoRD and RDC over the past few months. Advantages of each, imo...

CoRD

- Allows you to connect to more than one host at a time. RDC does not.

- Does a better job of saving passwords. I connect to two different machines, both with the username "Administrator", but with different passwords. CoRD allows me to have a different password for each "Administrator" and remembers which host they go with. RDC thinks "Administrator" is just one user, so it tries to use the same password for both hosts. It works on one, but prompts me to re-enter it on the other.

RDC

- Seems more stable. For some reason, I never lose my connection with RDC, but do once in a while with CoRD.

- Seems to use more Windows interface features, like right-click/drag. That's something I really miss in CoRD, and on Mac in general.

My solution: RDC is always connected to my Windows computer (which I use instead of Win/Parallels). CoRD is also installed, but I only use it to connect to others' computers, and our Web server. They're both free, so why not?