Windows reporting not authentic after six months

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moof1904, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Gang-

I'm running Win 7 Pro, 64-bit in a Fusion VM under Mountain Lion on a MBP and after six months of trouble-free operation, Windows is suddenly reporting that I "may be the victim of software counterfeiting..." and Windows now shows as not activated.

When I attempt to activate online with the completely legit OEM license from the Win 7 pro package that I bought from MicroCenter, Windows reports that the license key is not valid for this version of Windows. This is insane because it's the correct license key and the one that's been working fine for six months.

Here's the crazy part: Windows says that I need a license key for the "N" version of Windows 7, which my research shows is the UK version!

I've checked my product packaging and it's most certainly the US version, not the UK.

Why would Windows suddenly think it's British and freak out about a product key that's been working fine for six months?!?!?

Is the only option to delete the VM and completely reinstall? That would suck. (Reverting to earlier snapshots of the VM doesn't help, either.)

2. cjbriare macrumors member

cjbriare

Yep, sounds like Windows alright.

Something to try: Install Windows to a new VM but keep the old one, and (never used Fusion, but you should be able to) connect the virtual HD from the old VM to the new one, and you will have access to all of your stuff.

3. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

Did you call Microsoft? Could be an easy fix! :)