Windows revenge fried Macbook Pro A1260

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doduva, Dec 9, 2012.

1. doduva macrumors newbie

Dear Mac Lovers!
    Maybe it's the revenge for having owned years and years of windows system, but my first MAC, a macbook pro A1260 early 2008 started having troubles. Huge troubles. The screen started randomly to have very thin white stripes that caused trouble in glazing text, but it disappeared after a month. The Genius bar told me it's the logic board, not related to graphic subsystem, so it was not replaceable under warranty. Then my MBP worked for a couple of months more. Than a normal evening, when i moved it while in standby charge status it suddenly turned off.
    From then my MBP doesn't boot anymore. After pressing the power button, the lights turns on, it starts working and after a second, even before the boing, it powers off. I tried any single possible remedy for that but no success at all! I think it is the logic bord which is gone, but I am not sure for that. So what?
    Repair the logic board, but where? Here, in Italy is 400 euros at least, and I don't want to spend so much. Is there any good soul who know any viable solution for my problem?
    The other problem is getting the data out of the hard drive; is it possible via ubuntu? Being the only mac I own, i am quite unhappy with giving my hard drive to a third party for extracting my data.
    Any help will be useful for that! Thanks for the cooperation...

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

If it's really the logic board then you can just get the HDD out and put it in another Mac. So that you can pull the data out.

Is the Mac still under warranty? If so then bring it to Apple.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it's the logic board, there's no alternative other than to have it replaced or get another computer.

Just take the drive out and put it in an external enclosure. Then you can access it as an external drive from any other Mac.

As it's an early 2008 model, it is no longer covered by warranty/AppleCare.