Windows runs very hot

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NikkiJayne, Aug 17, 2012.

1. NikkiJayne macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

So I have finally managed to install Windows 7 vis Bootcamp on my rMBP in order to play The Sims 3. However, playing the game is making my Mac run very hot and the fans seem to be on full. After a brief Google it seems that running Windows on Mac does indeed make the Mac very hot; is there any way to combat this? I have a cooling pad; should I use it? I'm very wary as my old Dell would overheat frequently and I don't want to end up frying the video card or something.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No way to change it. You have to live with it.

3. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Windows is unable to automatically adjust the internal fans in your computer. This would be especially problematic when I'm running SWTOR. I'm not sure if this is an issue that Apple needs to address with their Boot Camp drivers.

I use a program call MacFan to manually control the fans in my MacBook Pro to keep it cool. You have to do it through the command-prompt but it's easy to use.

I have my fans set to 3000 RPM. I wrote a simple .bat file and placed it in the startup folder in my Start Menu so it would automatically adjust the fans to 3000 RPM every time I logged into the computer.

4. NikkiJayne thread starter macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

Ahh yes I downloaded this but I didn't have a clue how to work it and I can't find a guide, any chance you could point me in the direction of someone who's written a tutorial? (I read the enclosed text file but it doesn't talk you through it step by step and I've only used command prompt maybe twice ever.)

5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I have all of the related files to MacFan in a folder labelled 'MacFan' and I keep it in my Downloads folder. I'll use what I've done as the an example on how I run MacFan.

Open up Command Prompt as an administrator

Navigate to the MacFan directory you have created using the 'cd' command. For me, I type 'cd c:\users\granny\downloads\macfan' and then I hit return. If you keep the program in your documents folder, you'll type 'cd c:\users\<username>\documents' and then return.

Type macfan and then a number to set the RPM. I set my fans to 3000 RPM to I type 'macfan 3000' and then return. If you just type 'macfan' with no number following it, the program will display the minimum and maximum values that your computer can handle.

6. NikkiJayne thread starter macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

Thanks so much, I'll give it a go!

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

The fan speed is based on the temperature of the processor, hard drive, video card etc.. Windows doesn't control this and shouldn't need to (incase of a crash).

The limitation is the macbooks don't have good cooling and are not made for gaming.

8. Ryukouki macrumors regular

Hi Grannyville! You said you made some sort of .Bat file for Macfan. Can you by any chance tell me the way you made that? I was looking for a way to do this! Or can you PM me the details?

9. thomaskc macrumors 6502

I just want to let people know that windows actually control the fans perfectly on the new 2012 mbpro classic. I am using SMCfan in OSX and the exact same settings and "settings" comes across when I load up win7.

I don't have control directly but what ever was setup in osx works in win7.