Windows Server 2003

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by runmd, Aug 19, 2010.

1. runmd macrumors newbie

I have seen other posts and I'm concerned that I didn't have all the info that I need. I would like to install Windows Server 2003 R2 64-bit on my IMac at home using VirtualBox. VirtualBox is like Parallels or VMware and is free. Where is the best place to get a Windows Server install disk and is there anything that I should look out for when installing it on my IMac?

thanks,
    runmd

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The best place to get the disc would be eBay. If Virtual Box doesn't have an option for Windows 2003 64-bit just use Windows XP 64-bit. They are very similar.

3. runmd thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been looking on amazon so far since ebay is blocked by my employer. I found out about VirtualBox from a fellow student who was using it on a MacBook Pro for Windows 2003 Server. It was pretty fast from what I could see. Do you think it's better to get the Standard or the Enterprise version for home use? I plan on using it to learn about ASP.NET. I'll also be loading a database, probably Oracle.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you get one free/cheap via MSDNAA? Or, consider Windows Home Server which is based on Windows Server 2003. I know you can do some ASP.NET, not sure about Oracle though.

B

5. runmd thread starter macrumors newbie

I've found some good buys on Windows Server on ebay and am keeping an eye on a few auctions. Does anyone recommend a good book on learning ASP.NET from Amazon or any other online book seller?