Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
I have seen other posts and I'm concerned that I didn't have all the info that I need. I would like to install Windows Server 2003 R2 64-bit on my IMac at home using VirtualBox. VirtualBox is like Parallels or VMware and is free. Where is the best place to get a Windows Server install disk and is there anything that I should look out for when installing it on my IMac?

thanks,
runmd

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The best place to get the disc would be eBay. If Virtual Box doesn't have an option for Windows 2003 64-bit just use Windows XP 64-bit. They are very similar.

runmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
I've been looking on amazon so far since ebay is blocked by my employer. I found out about VirtualBox from a fellow student who was using it on a MacBook Pro for Windows 2003 Server. It was pretty fast from what I could see. Do you think it's better to get the Standard or the Enterprise version for home use? I plan on using it to learn about ASP.NET. I'll also be loading a database, probably Oracle.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I found out about VirtualBox from a fellow student

Can you get one free/cheap via MSDNAA? Or, consider Windows Home Server which is based on Windows Server 2003. I know you can do some ASP.NET, not sure about Oracle though.

B

runmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
I've found some good buys on Windows Server on ebay and am keeping an eye on a few auctions. Does anyone recommend a good book on learning ASP.NET from Amazon or any other online book seller?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.