Windows shared libraries showing up on iMac? iTunes help please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HawaiiMacAddict, Aug 8, 2007.

1. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I noticed something this morning that immediately raised my eyebrows. In my house, the cable router is located in my brother-in-law's room, as is my router. I have a CAT-5 cable strung along the outside of the house, connected to a switch in my computer room. He has an HP PC in his room, and I have my printer, iMac, and my wife's PC all connected to my switch. Occasionally, I'll also hook up my MacBook Pro to the switch as well. I do not have any Windows sharing going on, but this morning when I fired up iTunes (to get the latest and greatest updates to my morning Podcast playlists), I noticed a new entry, for his Limewire shared library. How is that even possible? I'm on a Mac, he's on a PC, and I do not have Windows sharing enabled. I've included some screenshots to show exactly what I noticed. If anyone has any insight into how this is even possible, please let me know.

Mahalo in advance for your responses,

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

Attached Files:

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Check out these screenshots to answer your question.

Attached Files:

3. jwkay macrumors regular

jwkay

iTunes libraries can be shared across local networks, regardless of whether they are on a Mac or Windows system. BTLOI, his iTunes library is called "Dejavu's LimeWire....." You can stop your iTunes looking for shared libraries in iTunes preferences.

4. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aloha jwkay and xUKHCx,

Thank you for your replies. I took the step you pointed out, but was unaware that a Limewire shared library on a Windows box would show up on a Mac, especially when Windows sharing is not enabled.

Mahalo again,

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict