Windows Sharing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ayeplussjr, Mar 5, 2009.

1. ayeplussjr macrumors regular

Okay...I have a couple of issues, and hopefully someone here can help me out. I have 2 Windows machines and 1 iMac that I'm trying to share with, and I have a few issues.

1. The only folder that I have set to share from my mac is a music folder, and that is the only folder that I want shared. I can see that music folder on one of my Windows machines, but I can also see my WD My Book, my Macintosh HD and my public folder. I did not choose to share those last 3 that I mentioned, but yet I can see them through one of my Windows machines. How can I remove my Macintosh HD, my WD My Book, and my public folder from being viewed on my Windows machine.

2. Second issue is with my second windows machine. I can't see any files that I'm sharing from my Mac on my second Windows machine. I can't even see the file that I want shared (music folder). Do you think this may have something to do with my Airport Express? I have an Airport Express so that my Mac and one of my Windows machines can share a printer. My second Windows machine is not connected to the Airport Express.

I hope this does not seem to long winded, but that is my dilemma....help!!!!

Thanks!!!!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

What OS are you using e.g., Tiger, Leopard? What sharing options do you have set in System Preferences? The public folder you mention is setup by Apple to be shared automatically. You can disable it, though how depends on your specific OS.

3. ayeplussjr thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using Leopard. The only sharing option that I'm using is File Sharing. Windows Sharing is turned on, and I have SMB selected. The only shared folders that I have selected is my Music Library from my iMac. The Public Folder I removed, but yet I can still see it on my Windows machine.

I can also see my Macintosh HD and my two externals. I don't have any of those selected to share.

I spoke with Apple support and they said that I can't pick or choose my folders or files that I want to share. That sounds bogus to me because if I can do that from Windows why would I not be able to do so from Leopard?

Hopefully there is a way so I can remove my public folder, my mac HD, and my two externals from showing up on my Windows machine.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Which Windows are you using? the sharing also depends on the username you use to login with for the sharing.

5. ayeplussjr thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using XP

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

For your Windows machine seeing your Mac shared folders see this thread (just skip to the last post).

And yes that Apple support person is a nut. The easier sharing in Leopard was one of its big features. I'm sharing files between a MacBook (wireless), a mini (wireless), and an XP machine (wired). Everything can see each other that I expect. The thread I linked above was necessary for myself to get Windows to see my shared items on my Macs, but my Macs were still able to see my Windows shared items after going to Finder > Go > Connect to Server and inputting the IP then it prompted me for user name and password.