Windows Shortcut equivalent?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BarkingGhost, Nov 19, 2011.

1. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

BarkingGhost

Is there an equivalent of a Windows Shortcut with which I can create and place on the dock?

For instance, I have the Mozilla Thunderbird icon on the Dock, but I would like to have a Dock object that is "thunderbird.exe -P", which would launch the Profile Manager.

2. jamietshaw macrumors member

The first result on Google for "thunderbird profile manager mac” tells you how to start it from the command line: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manager#Mac_OS_X

Making this command into a shortcut (=alias) for your Dock (or anywhere else) is fiddly, but possible. The best way I know is:

1. Start Automator and create a new application.
    2. Add a "Do Shell Script" workflow.
    3. Add the command you need to run (probably this: /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -profilemanager &)
    4. Save. When you run this new application you have created, it will start Thunderbird with the desired parameters.

It’s unusual for graphical Mac applications to work like this, which is why it’s not very easy to do. Normally, if there is an alternative way of starting an application it’s done by holding the Alt/Option key down when clicking on the icon - e.g. to change library in iTunes.

Your may be interested in further discussions at:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/281372/executing-shell-scripts-from-the-os-x-dock
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/281372/executing-shell-scripts-from-the-os-x-dock

3. BarkingGhost thread starter macrumors regular

BarkingGhost

Thanks, Jamie, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. I was aware of the command line option as my research and discover of the Profile Manager revealed it. I had tested it a couple of days ago, but now trying to make it simple enough for the wife to just click from the Dock.

4. BarkingGhost thread starter macrumors regular

BarkingGhost

I did Step #1, but I cannot do Step #2. There is no Do Shell Script option available.

5. chown33, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

chown33 macrumors 604

Look under Utilities. Its name is Run Shell Script.

Or click the top-level Library item, then type the word shell into the Search box (the text-entry box with the magnifying glass). To then revert to the full list of actions, click the gray circled-X to remove what you typed in.

6. BarkingGhost thread starter macrumors regular

BarkingGhost

Bingo! That did the trick. I used the Run Shell Script, copied the desired command line into it, saved, made an alias and placed it on the Dock and it works like a charm. Sweet!

Thanks, guys!