Windows side of MAC has a virus with daughter's paper on it!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mdsrvs, Nov 16, 2008.

1. mdsrvs macrumors newbie

First time poster with big trouble here - my daughter was using Word on the Windows side of our Mac OS X 10.5.5, and it just crashed - when I try and run the Avast anti-virus scanner, it runs for a minute or so, then shuts down. The internet won't connect on Windows, and we can't access any files. Of course, everything is fine with the Mac side. I can't get in touch with anyone I know to fix it and don't want to call anyone in the Yellow Pages because we've been ripped off by those types before. Any advice would be appreciated....Thanks, Melissa

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you can read the file under OSx, then open it on Mac, cut and paste the data, and save to a new file.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What do you mean by 'can't access any files'?

4. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

You should be able to browse the files from the Mac side. Unless you formatted it as NTFS. THAT is why I always do it in FAT32, there isn't that much of a difference. AND that is why I keep my HDs at FAT32 as well, unless it is backup specifically for a certain OS.

5. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

That's not entirely correct; Mac OS X can read NTFS, it just can't write to it. The easiest thing to do would be to just boot into Mac OS and grab the files from the Windows partition or, if you have another machine available, you could always put it into FW target mode and grab the files from there.

6. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

How did the virus get there - was it through a downloaded file? I'd definitely say to not access the internet via the Windows side, (although the Mac can still pass on a virus through a file to Windows.)

Lots of viruses use office files to get to the OS (windows) through ActiveX and some VB scripting, so hopefully the .doc file your daughter needs is not the source of the virus.

As mentioned above, you should be able to see the Windows file(s) from within MacOSX finder, and just copy it over, or maybe even just open it in a word processor that can read Office/Word files. Most widely available WPs out there can do this. You might lose a little formatting, but that should be easy to deal with as long as you salvage the text...

good luck.

7. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

If you don't have a word processor on the OS X side, you could download NeoOffice. Though even TextEdit should be able to display the text from the file.

8. mdsrvs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses. Some of this is beyond my computer knowledge level, but I can't find the Word file from Windows on the Mac side. Not sure what NTFS is or a Windows partition, but the Windows side won't do anything - Internet, open files, nothing. Anything you click brings up a circle and a dialogue at the bottom that says "opening" or "connecting" or whatever you're trying to do, and it just stays that way. If you try to close the window, part of the box will go and part will stay there, just suspended on the screen. I can't close down normally; I have to power down without going through the shutdown process. And none of the files will open (like my daughter's paper).

I'm not sure how we got the virus, but my daughter had to download ActiveX from her school's website during the time she was doing her paper. That's the only thing on Windows she did besides her paper.

9. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

On OS X's desktop there should be a couple of icons that look like hard drives, one should be called "Macintosh HD", there should be another one called something like "windows". That drive is the same as the "C" drive in Windows.

You should be able to double click on it and then navigate to the file, if it's in the My Documents folder in Windows then it should be somewhere like:
    "Documents and Settings" > your user name (may be Administrator) > "My Documents".

Which version of Windows are you running?

10. mdsrvs thread starter macrumors newbie

Windows Business Vista - I found the Windows icon on the Mac. It was under "Untitled", but I couldn't find the file anywhere (her paper). There was nothing like "Documents and Settings" there either.

11. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Under Vista the user's documents, etc. are going to be under "Untitled/Users/<user_name>/Documents". Anything that was on the desktop will be in "Untitled/Users/<user_name>/Desktop"

12. mdsrvs thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not there, and every time I click on something in her Documents folder, I get an error message that says something about Microsoft Word having to quit or failing to launch, which is why she went to Windows Word in the first place, I think.

13. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Huh? what keeps you from copying the files to your Mac OS X side, and then install/use some of the mac versions of word (free neo office) ?

"Microsoft Word having to quit or failing to launch" <-- when does this come up? Dont try to run the file, copy it to the osx side, only after then use it with some programs you install. You could make a screenshot of the situation and host the picture so it would be more helpfull to everybody see what exactly are you doing...
    Do you have ms-word on Mac or Windows or both? Which one is crashing?

14. mdsrvs thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't copy the file to the Mac OS X side because it won't open on the Windows side. And although I do have Microsoft Word on the Mac, it's messed up. When I try to open a document in it, the error message says, "The application Microsoft Word quit unexpectedly." Sorry, I don't know how to make screenshots. To move in between the 2 systems, I have to reboot the computer. I can't go back and forth while online.

15. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Copy the file from the Windows partition while running Mac OS X. Find the file, drag or copy the file to the Mac desktop and try opening it with TextEdit (since Word isn't helping).

Screenshots are as follows.

Command + Shift + 3 (fullscreen)
    Command + Shift + 4 (select part of the screen)
    Command + Shift + 4, Spacebar (select window)

16. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Yeah, of course i ment just this. No need to actually boot into the crappy windows, because you can access (read only) ntfs partitions in osx side !