Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habu71

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
I have now had my first iMac for a couple of weeks--love it--and getting to be somewhat knowledgable on its use (after 20 years on PCs). I am now ready to load Windows XP/ Bootcamp to use a couple of programs from work that can't run on Mac's. Is there anything I have to worry about or be concerned before I go ahead and load it and start using Windows? Or is it pretty seamless and works fine?

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

It runs better!!!!!

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
When i got my new imac i was planning on using vmware fusion+bootcamp for the odd windows app i need to run.

however i checked out crossover first as a short term alternative till i could get an xp key etc. I find it runs so well i gave up on the bootcamp idea.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Nothing you should really be worried about. It's integration is pretty damn good so think of installing XP on a regular PC. Apple has provided all the drivers on the OS X install DVD that came with your computer.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I might get flamed for this, but if you can I'd recommend installing Vista instead of XP. The hardware of the iMac is really meant more for Vista, especially the nvidia components and IMO it is superior to XP now that most of the bugs are gone. Especially features like searching windows update for drivers automatically when a device is added.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
I might get flamed for this, but if you can I'd recommend installing Vista instead of XP. The hardware of the iMac is really meant more for Vista, especially the nvidia components and IMO it is superior to XP now that most of the bugs are gone.

Well i see most of the 'advantages' of vista are mostly cosmetic. If you are running windows on a mac for the odd program then the extra space isn't justified imo.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Well i see most of the 'advantages' of vista are mostly cosmetic. If you are running windows on a mac for the odd program then the extra space isn't justified imo.

+1. Sure Vista runs well on Apple hardware but I would still prefer XP. Vista on Apple hardware I find, is a waste of additional space since Apple has provided all the drivers for you - so the feature of finding drivers doesn't really matter. Installing Windows is just adding an additional OS and if you're running it for maybe one or two programs, XP would be my choice.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I might get flamed for this, but if you can I'd recommend installing Vista instead of XP. The hardware of the iMac is really meant more for Vista, especially the nvidia components and IMO it is superior to XP now that most of the bugs are gone. Especially features like searching windows update for drivers automatically when a device is added.

+1 for Vista, my daughters and I run Vista on bootcamp. My wife is still on a PC with XP but her new laptop came with Vista and she's learning to use it.

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.