Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
HEHEHE! Why do they bother! Voice recognition is shaky regardless of what program you run! Demoing that is just asking for trouble! In office xp you had to say "Command - Select all" if you say "Select all" it would just write that, like it did!

SteveRichardson

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2006
My family used to have this headset "speech recognition" program back in the days of Windows 98. You had to actually teach it to recognize your voice by going through these extreme 20 minute long stories it would generate.

The problem was that my dad, unlike the rest of us, was born in england, so his accent totally threw the "calibration" off.

quite a funny sight to see.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Haha, that's good.

Most voice recognition software sucks though. Just not nearly as bad as that.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Wow, now that was funny.

I thought the best part might have been the comment by the desk host at the end when she pointed out that, despite Microsoft's claims of "ambient noise" as being the problem (the new "user error"?), the room was quiet until everybody started laughing. "Live TV is rough--welcome to our world."

Guess once in a rare while there is a media show with some spine.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Benjamindaines said:
Didn't Apple have a voice recognition demo like that in a Keynote for OS 8? But Apple's actually worked....

the trouble is that apple speech recognition only works with a thick californian accent otherwise it won't work for me.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Well, in fairness, Apple's doesn't even do dictation, does it? And it doesn't work all that flawlessly at commands either. Everytime I've played with it, you can make progress with training, but it ends up being a geek toy.

Dragon is the only one I've ever really heard good things about. It's popular here at the hospital.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
mkrishnan said:
Dragon is the only one I've ever really heard good things about. It's popular here at the hospital.
And supposedly the latest version doesn't even need training. (there was a recent piece on NPR). It still won't work if it hears two voices at once....

B

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yvan256 said:
Didn't Google Video used to have a "save file" (PSP/iPod) feature? :confused:

I think it's up the the uploader to decide whether it's saveable; some other videos have it.

SteveRichardson said:
My family used to have this headset "speech recognition" program back in the days of Windows 98. You had to actually teach it to recognize your voice by going through these extreme 20 minute long stories it would generate

I had a copy of Dragon Naturally Speaking back around the Win 98 era, and it certainly worked better than that demo!

Makosuke said:
Guess once in a rare while there is a media show with some spine.

When they announced free digital TV here a while ago, the presenter (6:00 news) said something like "so we have more channels, are we going to get more local shows or just more American rubbish?" :D

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
mkrishnan said:
Well, in fairness, Apple's doesn't even do dictation, does it? And it doesn't work all that flawlessly at commands either.

God, the amount of time I've spent yelling "Who's there?" at my computer is unbelievable.

(If you don't know what I'm talking about, turn on speakable items and say "tell me a joke")

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
SpookTheHamster said:
(If you don't know what I'm talking about, turn on speakable items and say "tell me a joke")

Hehehehe, yes, this is pretty cute. I just turned it on and set the activation keyword to be "computer" so that I could be Jean-Luc Picard. :eek:

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
SpookTheHamster said:
God, the amount of time I've spent yelling "Who's there?" at my computer is unbelievable.

Check your Mic volume. I had the same problem but saw that when the listening was at the red level, it couldn't hear anymore. Now it works perfectly with a normal voice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.