Windows Sp3 Fail!+AppleMNT.sys Fail...Help!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Liquigladiators, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Liquigladiators, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013

Liquigladiators macrumors newbie

Hi, before i continue i would like to introduce myself as "Liquigladiators":) i am new to this site in general & this is my very 1st post; forgive me, but..i wasn't really sure how to phrase the title of this thread, but hopefully you guys get the idea. It goes like this..i hadn't been able to install updates to my Windows, & before i add to that, i have a MacBook Pro:apple: 10.6.8 (duh!:D) but on bootcamp as i am sure a number of Mac users do; i unfortunately couldn't fulfill certain activities on my Mac so i had to switch back to my Windows XP, my Windows wasn't updating for a while due to what i just found out was some Mac related issue, i finally got that fixed & ran Sp3, things were going swell:) then...it stopped halfway through installation:mad:, saying "osloader.ntd cannot copy" then i read a Mac guide on this very website http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3841 ...It sounds like it worked for some people, & i followed the instructions..i did:confused: where i get really frustrated, & my question:mad: Where is this AppleMNT.sys:confused::confused: apparently everyone has gotten it but me:( I'll even give a play by play. I went to my C: Drive in my computers, then went to Windows folder then clicked on "System 32", got "These Files are Hidden Screen", now note: This is the only time i ever got that message" , i never received it just clicking my C: drive, so i don't now if that was wrong or what. Anyways after system 32 i found the ".sys" files, they are apparently alphabetical, & in horror:eek: i didn't see any "AppleMNT.sys" file:confused::confused::confused:.......uh..uh am i missing something here? please please answer this, i don't know any computer techies so please tell me you kind people can help; thank you & i now dreadfully await a hopeful answer. & 1 more thing if you know, please post in clear steps of what i have to do, i am not really super computer literate.

2. Liquigladiators thread starter macrumors newbie

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That file's purpose is mounting the Mac partition read-only on the Windows side of things. If you cannot find it, that may be because you manually removed it. You must, however, restart Windows for such changes to take effect. I assume you've done that since the file disappeared. If not, then reboot - but first check the My Computer view to see if Macintosh HD (or whatever it's called, if you renamed it on the Mac side) is visible.

4. Liquigladiators thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I did reboot, is it possible to Re-Download AppleMNT in some way?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You shouldn't need to - in fact I'm perplexed as to why you're having problems if it's not there AND the Mac partition isn't visible.

Unless, of course... you haven't turned on the options in Folder Options to show system and hidden files, and show hidden files and folders... in which case, you need to turn both on to see it, assuming it's there and just hidden from view.

In any case, please report back as to whether you can currently read the Mac side of things. That will confirm or disprove my hypothesis.

6. Liquigladiators thread starter macrumors newbie

I turned on folder options, still no luck? Like I mentioned previously, I am not good at any of this computer stuff, so please forgive me if I'm not picking up as fast. Is there another alternative to get Sp3 working? Because I have done as much as could; I am not sure if this AppleMNT. Sys even existed in the 1st place, sorry. If this is a bit lazy but is there an easy way to restore AppleMNT. Sys or something? At this point I just want my Sp3 on my Xp to install.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If you want to make certain that you installed everything properly, reinstall Boot Camp from Apple's website. Note that you need Version 3, not the newer 4 or 5. THEN rename AppleMNT.sys as the instructions say, once you've rebooted post-install. Reboot again. Try installing Windows XP SP3.