Windows start menu in SL?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BeSweeet, Dec 2, 2009.

1. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I remember reading about something last month where you can bring the Windows start menu to your regular Snow Leopard taskbar and stuff. I can't seem to find it.

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

The only way that I know of is the unity feature in Parallels Desktop. You need to be running windows though

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac OS X has a Menu Bar and a Dock. What do you mean by Taskbar?

Maybe you've read about virtualization software, which gives you the opportunity to run Windows on your Mac, and one of the methods is to show Windows outside of the VM window.

If not, why would you like to have the Windows taskbar and Start menu in OS X?

Do you mean something like this?
    [​IMG]
    http://softbend.free.fr/himmelbar/

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

5. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

You can put a folder (e.g., Applications) or HDD/SSD icon on the Dock next to Trash, then Display As Folder & View As List.

6. professorjay macrumors member

Butler is another option that basically does this.

I find it convenient to organize my apps into categories so I don't have to dig through the applications folder. I also put links to my most visited folders there.

I prefer this rather than filling up my dock when I typically only use 5 programs 90% of the time.

7. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I don't know why developers make & people waste resources on their machines to run something OS X can handle out of the box (see my post above).

8. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Ugh, no. It replaced the apple menu with a "Start" logo that, when clicked on, looked just like a Windows start menu. No, it wasn't Windows running a theme to look like OS X.

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

The closest thing that I can think of out of the box is putting your applications folder in the dock and changing it to list view.

10. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

??? You sure? Do you have a link to a picture of it?

11. professorjay macrumors member

After trying out HimmelBar, I see it does not have the same functionality as Butler.

Butler works like the Start Menu in the sense that you can create, move, delete, etc without affecting the actual applications because it creates aliases inside the program. There is additional stuff in there, but it's easier to try out rather than explain.

macrem's recommendation would not work in this regard either.

12. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Why would you want your "start menu" to be out of sync with reality?

It's possible to create a folder, add aliases & add that folder to the Dock with list view.

13. professorjay macrumors member

It's not a big deal being 'out of sync'. I never have a need to move the original applications, only delete them. And in that case Butler will have an icon indicating the application is missing if that's the case.

Butler has a drag and drop interface, so it saves an extra step of creating aliases and moving them around.

And it's just personal preference that I'd have this menu in the menu bar, rather than the dock.

14. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

OP, do you mean this:

[​IMG]

You may have read it here or any other article about VMWare Fusion 3.

15. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

16. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

I think the OP is referring to the original Apple Menu which looked like the Windows Start Menu - it listed folders and apps.

You can use Fruit Menu or Classic Menu to bring back this functionality:

Fruit Menu:
    [​IMG]

Classic Menu:
    [​IMG]

17. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

You can get that in the suggestion I made above except the OP did not like the fact that it's on the Dock instead of the menu bar, so maybe this is more aligned with what s/he wants, but on the Dock it's a bigger target (improved usability) & generally speaking I would make a minor adjustment in my expectation to avoid installing more third party stuff that uses resources.

18. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Wow & bleh ;)