Windows start menu in SL?

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I remember reading about something last month where you can bring the Windows start menu to your regular Snow Leopard taskbar and stuff. I can't seem to find it.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I remember reading about something last month where you can bring the Windows start menu to your regular Snow Leopard taskbar and stuff. I can't seem to find it.
The only way that I know of is the unity feature in Parallels Desktop. You need to be running windows though

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Mac OS X has a Menu Bar and a Dock. What do you mean by Taskbar?

Maybe you've read about virtualization software, which gives you the opportunity to run Windows on your Mac, and one of the methods is to show Windows outside of the VM window.

If not, why would you like to have the Windows taskbar and Start menu in OS X?

Do you mean something like this?

http://softbend.free.fr/himmelbar/

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
You can put a folder (e.g., Applications) or HDD/SSD icon on the Dock next to Trash, then Display As Folder & View As List.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Mac OS X has a Menu Bar and a Dock. What do you mean by Taskbar?

Maybe you've read about virtualization software, which gives you the opportunity to run Windows on your Mac, and one of the methods is to show Windows outside of the VM window.

If not, why would you like to have the Windows taskbar and Start menu in OS X?

Do you mean something like this?

http://softbend.free.fr/himmelbar/
I don't know why developers make & people waste resources on their machines to run something OS X can handle out of the box (see my post above).

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Ugh, no. It replaced the apple menu with a "Start" logo that, when clicked on, looked just like a Windows start menu. No, it wasn't Windows running a theme to look like OS X.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
The closest thing that I can think of out of the box is putting your applications folder in the dock and changing it to list view.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Ugh, no. It replaced the apple menu with a "Start" logo that, when clicked on, looked just like a Windows start menu. No, it wasn't Windows running a theme to look like OS X.
??? You sure? Do you have a link to a picture of it?

professorjay

macrumors member
May 13, 2007
After trying out HimmelBar, I see it does not have the same functionality as Butler.

Butler works like the Start Menu in the sense that you can create, move, delete, etc without affecting the actual applications because it creates aliases inside the program. There is additional stuff in there, but it's easier to try out rather than explain.

macrem's recommendation would not work in this regard either.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
After trying out HimmelBar, I see it does not have the same functionality as Butler.

Butler works like the Start Menu in the sense that you can create, move, delete, etc without affecting the actual applications because it creates aliases inside the program. There is additional stuff in there, but it's easier to try out rather than explain.

macrem's recommendation would not work in this regard either.
Why would you want your "start menu" to be out of sync with reality?

It's possible to create a folder, add aliases & add that folder to the Dock with list view.

professorjay

macrumors member
May 13, 2007
Why would you want your "start menu" to be out of sync with reality?

It's possible to create a folder, add aliases & add that folder to the Dock with list view.
It's not a big deal being 'out of sync'. I never have a need to move the original applications, only delete them. And in that case Butler will have an icon indicating the application is missing if that's the case.

Butler has a drag and drop interface, so it saves an extra step of creating aliases and moving them around.

And it's just personal preference that I'd have this menu in the menu bar, rather than the dock.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
I think the OP is referring to the original Apple Menu which looked like the Windows Start Menu - it listed folders and apps.

You can use Fruit Menu or Classic Menu to bring back this functionality:

Fruit Menu:

Classic Menu:

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
I think the OP is referring to the original Apple Menu which looked like the Windows Start Menu - it listed folders and apps.

You can use Fruit Menu or Classic Menu to bring back this functionality:

Fruit Menu:

Classic Menu:
You can get that in the suggestion I made above except the OP did not like the fact that it's on the Dock instead of the menu bar, so maybe this is more aligned with what s/he wants, but on the Dock it's a bigger target (improved usability) & generally speaking I would make a minor adjustment in my expectation to avoid installing more third party stuff that uses resources.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.