Windows still showing after I've uninstalled

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by juliancs, Feb 8, 2010.

1. juliancs macrumors 6502

I received a second hand mac pro yesterday. Windows was not installed, nor does it show up in Finder/Disk Utility/Starup disk. I have erased/reinstalled the 2 HDs that came in the computer. However, if I start up and hold down option, I get the choice to choose windows as is if it were installed. If I click on it, I am told "operating system missing". Does anyone have any pointers to get rid of this ghost choice?

I've tried repairing/verifying as well.

thanks

2. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Have you tried erasing the data on the HDD via Disk Utility. Then doing a clean install of Leopard or Snow Leopard. Also Disk Utility should indicate if the Windows partition is still there.

3. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Just a guess, but if you use Boot_Camp_Assistant.app can you erase a partition?

4. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry if I was not clear - I've done everything there is to do in disk utility. There is no mention of a partition for it anywhere, only when I hold option.

5. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Again, another guess, I don't think the info for when there is a partition is on the disk, but maybe on the board (I could be totally wrong), so maybe try creating a partition via boot camp assistant and then try removing the partition using that application, it may remove something more.

6. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

tried that. I've installed windows on there, so both now show up. Guess I will live with it.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member