Windows switchers - what do you miss in Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 73CortinaV8, Sep 30, 2012.

1. 73CortinaV8 macrumors 6502

I miss having an address bar in explorer. Wish Finder had something exactly like windows 7. Navigation in the finder is clumsy, even with the keyboard shortcuts.

I miss being able to see window contents in the task bar, like if you had multiple browsers open and minimized, you could easily pin-point the one you wanted.

I'm finding the keyboard shortcuts in macos to be convoluted. 4 modifier keys (shift, ctrl, alt, cmd) are way too many. Windows keyboard navigation was simple and comprehensive.

not much else, though, really.

2. waynep macrumors 6502

I miss the following (NOT):

• Windows blue screens
    • Complicated drivers and other convoluted software practices
    • Dealing with anti-virus on a regular basis
    • Command Prompt and the difficulty writing scripts that do more than basic things

For my regular home computer, I like OSX more than Win. It works, it's easy to use. Installing software is simple. And being a professional UNIX person, the command shell is like home when needed. I can knock out shell scripts for about anything I need in short order.

The only thing I wish the Mac/OSX had that Windows has is a decent version of Quicken. Until then, I have Win in a virtual machine.

I use simple keyboard shortcuts. Copy, Paste, Cut, Select All etc. They are very simple on the Mac. Not a problem.

3. 73CortinaV8 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, have bash and python already installed is great. And not having to deal with installshield. ugh - what a POS

4. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Agree with you on these 2 points

Finder has inexplicable been unable to catch up to Windows Explorer in terms of easy of navigation through the directory structure.

I miss irfanview

I miss the ability to cut/paste files

Not sure why there is Alt & control on top of command either.

5. doh123 macrumors 65816

really? exactly the opposite for me. I love Finder Column view. Make sure you go to View and turn on to show your path and status bar.

I like using Mission control better and seeing all windows for everything... or using App Expose to see all windows for all windows in a single app.
    Windows has 4 as well... the Win key maps the the Cmd key even if you plug in a keyboard with one. There are many many Windows keyboard shortcuts using all types of keys including the Windows keys. Most people just don't know about them... they aren't really simpler...