Windows Tap to Click

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by buckeye17, May 9, 2009.

1. buckeye17 macrumors member

Last time I checked, it wasn't possible to Tap-Click when booting into Windows. If I were to get a Macbook I would solely use Windows on it, so I was wondering if this issue has been fixed in the unibody. I've searched on Google and on here, and I all I can find are old threads. Thanks!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You can tap-click in Windows. Also, if you plan on only using Windows on a MacBook, I think that would be a mistake. It's not efficient because Windows isn't optimized to use the hardware on your MacBook so your battery will suffer a bit. I think you're better off buying a reg. notebook for windows, not worth the money to buy a MacBook and only use Windows.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

You can't tap to click in Windows (it doesn't work in XP, Vista or 7) with the Apple drivers.

They managed to get scrolling working, but not tap to click, it's really a joke.

As for just using Windows on it, I can't recommend it either. I tend to use Windows most of the time and Apple's drivers make it a chore.

They've not invested the time that a PC OEM would in making drivers that are optimised for the machine.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Whats wrong with Leopard that you feel the need to use Windows only on a MacBook?

5. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

This is quite possibly the most uneducated, ridiculous statement I've ever read. Windows isn't optimized to run on the hardware? The only portions of the hardware that matter are the same, regardless of whether you're using a Mac or a PC. Apple uses the same damn hardware that manufacturers build windows PC's out of.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm not going to even bother going in depth with this. So you're telling me that you will get the same battery life running Windows then you get in OS X? As a MacBook Pro user (and if you go search for it, few months back in this forum) this was discussed, battery life in OS X with 9600M GT was way better than it is in Windows that's a fact. You think I'm saying because it's a Mac the hardware is different? I'm not saying that and I'm not saying it's not going to work, it's going to work but Apple has all the necessary drivers to maximize/optimize everything on OS X because it's the hardware on their OS. For Windows they just put together drivers that just make it work. I'm pretty sure your battery will suffer and will not be up to par as if were OS X.

And for tap-to-click, just so we're clear, you're saying that you need to actually press the trackpad to click something? If so, that's not correct. In the Boot Camp control panel, there's an option for you to tap the trackpad to click rather than pressing on the trackpad to select. Try downloading the latest Boot Camp drivers (2.1)

7. charliex5 macrumors regular

Yes you can tap to click with a Unibody. My old white MacBook couldn't but my Unibody can. I'm running Vista.

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I stand corrected, but I read in a thread yesterday people with Unibody macs still complaining about it.

I can only hope that Apple brings it to all of the computers with Snow Leopard or I will be getting a Windows Laptop.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

They're complaining because it works but it doesn't function the same as it does in OS X. The whole trackpad functionality is awful in Windows due to the lack of good drivers. Hopefully Apple will decide to correct it.

10. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Thinking the same thing over here.

11. incognitoguile macrumors newbie

You mean the processor and hardrive are the same hardware for macs and pcs right?

I always thought apple uses some of it's own unique hardware... How are the macbooks so much more compact than pcs if they use the same hardware?

And if that's the case, then why is the battery life lesser in windows? Drivers? Are you saying Mac just has more battery-efficient drivers for it's OS?

12. ArthurDent macrumors newbie

Tap to Click works fine here with Windows 7 and Bootcamp 3.0 installed.