Windows Technical Preview

LTCMark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2013
As I recall with the Windows 8 Preview, if you installed it, you could later upgrade to Windows 8. However, you would have to reinstall all your desktop applications once you upgraded; only your Metro apps would "transfer".

Does anyone know if this is the case with Windows Technical Preview? I have read the fine print but did not see anything. As much as I would like to install the Technical Preview, reinstalling all my desktop applications was not so fun.

Henk Poley

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2008
Yes, when switching between Windows editions, they tend to only keep your files, and only some very minimal configuration settings.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I was thinking of trying out the Windows Preview, however I am wondering what the best way to install and boot it is.

Is it possible/easy to install and boot from an external hard drive on a mac (like Yosemite Beta & other OSX) or maybe VirtualBox might be a better option?

I have a bootcamp partition but would rather leave that be and not risk screwing up any internal partitions.

Has anyone tried it on mac yet?

Thanks

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I originally tried installing Windows 10 Preview using VirtualBox however I got an error code 0XC0000260.

However I successfully installed it using Parallels (Trial Version) and it works.
Looks pretty bad and makes me appreciate Mac even more.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I originally tried installing Windows 10 Preview using VirtualBox however I got an error code 0XC0000260.

However I successfully installed it using Parallels (Trial Version) and it works.
Looks pretty bad and makes me appreciate Mac even more.
What looks so bad about it?

To me, it looks like any other Windows 7 or 8 install. In fact, I like 10 much better than 8 or 8.1 simply because they brought the Start Menu back and gave the option to use the Metro Interface or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.