Windows Technical Preview

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by LTCMark, Oct 1, 2014.

1. LTCMark macrumors newbie

As I recall with the Windows 8 Preview, if you installed it, you could later upgrade to Windows 8. However, you would have to reinstall all your desktop applications once you upgraded; only your Metro apps would "transfer".

Does anyone know if this is the case with Windows Technical Preview? I have read the fine print but did not see anything. As much as I would like to install the Technical Preview, reinstalling all my desktop applications was not so fun.

2. Henk Poley macrumors regular

Yes, when switching between Windows editions, they tend to only keep your files, and only some very minimal configuration settings.

3. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

I was thinking of trying out the Windows Preview, however I am wondering what the best way to install and boot it is.

Is it possible/easy to install and boot from an external hard drive on a mac (like Yosemite Beta & other OSX) or maybe VirtualBox might be a better option?

I have a bootcamp partition but would rather leave that be and not risk screwing up any internal partitions.

Has anyone tried it on mac yet?

Thanks

4. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

I originally tried installing Windows 10 Preview using VirtualBox however I got an error code 0XC0000260.

However I successfully installed it using Parallels (Trial Version) and it works.
    Looks pretty bad and makes me appreciate Mac even more.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

What looks so bad about it?

To me, it looks like any other Windows 7 or 8 install. In fact, I like 10 much better than 8 or 8.1 simply because they brought the Start Menu back and gave the option to use the Metro Interface or not.