Windows to Mac basics

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whitefang, Mar 2, 2009.

1. whitefang macrumors 6502

1) In windows, you can view all events by using the event viewer. It will show you any warnings, errors, info about the OS, drivers, apps etc. Where is this in OSX? (I think it might be the kernel panic thingy, but how do I access that?)

2) In most laptops, the harddrive activity light shows when the HD is being used. How do I know with the macbook Pro? There is no indicator lights?

3) In windows, I use foobar to stream music over the network. When I use Itunes, it starts copying all the files FROM the network share before playing them. So, is there a better player that doesn't do this or can Itunes be configured to do this?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Console. It's in /Applications/Utilities.

You use your ears. There are no indicator lights.

If you have iTunes installed on the file server and set to share the library, iTunes on your Mac will automatically detect it and you will be able to play the music directly from the other computer.

3. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh, thanks!

More Questions:
    4) I got a HP LaserJet 1020 shared on a network vista computer. How would I connect to that on my Mac?

5) Where are the home, pgdwn, pgup, end keys?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Welcome to Mac ownership and welcome to MacRumors:Forums! You'll find a lot of information both here and on the web. Here are a few resources that may be helpful:

Apple - Find Out How online tutorials on many topics
    Mac 101 a tour of the Mac OS X
    Switch 101 a tutorial on the process of migrating to a Mac
    Apple Support search Apple Support and the Knowledge Base
    MRoogle for searching the forums with Google (always a good idea before posting new questions)
    How to set up a quick right-click search of the MR forums.
    MacRumors FAQ
    MacRumors Rules
    MacRumors Guides Very helpful stuff!
    A list of the MR Forums (so you'll know which forum is best to post a new question)
    Maximizing your MacRumors troubleshooting experience. (if you really need help, this is valuable to know!)
    Apple Keyboard Shortcuts
    You can find lists of essential applications in this thread, as well as these sites: here and here and here.....and here.

If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask! There's lots of friendly help here! Enjoy your new Mac!

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Function+arrow keys.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Fn+Up Arrow or Option+Up Arrow = Page up
    Fn+Down Arrow or Option+Down Arrow = Page down
    Command+Up Arrow = Home
    Command+Down Arrow = End