Windows to Mac OS X... What should I know?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pensoftware, Nov 11, 2008.

1. pensoftware macrumors member

I've been a Windows user for my whole life and I'm now deciding to switch to Mac OS X after seeing the wonderful smoothness of the iPod Touch's firmware and being told that you can get the best of both worlds using BootCamp or Parallels/VMWare. I was wondering what should I know that would save me hours of en figuring out where something is or how to do something on the Mac.

P.S. I bought a MacBook, so if that's any different than a standard Desktop Mac then I need info specifically on it.

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Just use it, that's the fastest way to learn. They're very intuitive, so where you "think" something should be - odds are, it's already there.

Oh, and holding "Control + Click" gives you "right click" equivalent on that single-button trackpad.

Welcome. And please enjoy your stay.

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

There's no cut as in cut copy paste in Win (dragging stuff from one folder to another in the same storage media = cut paste)

You dont get to 'maximize' windows

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Really?
    What if you right click?

And you can't maximize Windows?!
    Not even when just using boot camp and not Parallels?

6. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

There's no cut even in right click....

And.. ROFL.. obviously BC runs Win so you maximize....

P.S.: The guy is asking the hitches from Win on a PC to Mac OS on a Mac not Win on another Mac!

7. Matek macrumors 6502a

Best of both worlds? I don't think so, the whole point of Macs is OS X, the hardware (design excluded) is more or less pretty average PC stuff, so if you plan to use Windows through Boot Camp a lot, there's no point in getting a Mac, because you could have gotten a better laptop of some other brand for less money. So it's not really best of both world's - it's more like reaching a compromise by using Windows for what you didn't manage to do on OS X.

But what's done is done, so let's focus on current issues - I agree with others about common problems when switching from Windows. You can't cut files and you can't maximize all windows (depending on the application), but it all has a workaround. I have had my MacBook for two years now and I got used to simply stretching windows to full screen size manually and dragging files with the mouse when I wan't to move them (it's slower, but what can you do).

Also - most games don't work on OS X, so be very careful before you buy them. The best solution is to simply play everything on Windows through Boot Camp - even if the game works in OS X, performance will be slightly better on Windows.

If you ever used System Restore on Windows - Time Machine does that and some more on OS X, but it has one huge flaw compared to System Restore - it needs a separate drive/partition.

8. pensoftware thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for the advice and help. Also, my System Restore needs a seperate partition (on windows)

9. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Something else you might find useful: flip4mac, a plugin that lets you watch .wmv videos in quicktime.
    Additionally, keyboard shortcuts are the same as on windows, except using command instead of control. So command c = copy.
    You can use two fingers on the trackpad to scroll also.

I hope all of this is useful, if you need anything else ask a question or search the forums!

10. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

You can use PathFinder (Finder replacement) and you will be able to cut files and a lot more (from windows)!!

Link - http://www.cocoatech.com/

11. fteter macrumors member

12. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

To open a file with the keyboard it's CMD & O or CMD and the down cursor arrow.

Selecting a file and pressing return is for renaming.

You'll need to get used to the difference between closing/hiding windows for Applications and quitting them altogether. I have Mail open at the moment but the window's hidden/closed. When an email arrives I get a little number over my dock icon.

There are some features you'll use and some you won't. You'll wonder how you've managed without Spaces- I do :D

Some good Apps to get-
    Flip4Mac and Perian- codecs for QuickTime
    YouControl Tunes- menu bar plug-in for iTunes
    AppCleaner- helps wipe all folders/traces of Apps when uninstalling

Mainly- enjoy the Mac experience! I've been a Mac user for about 8 months now and I love it :)

13. pensoftware thread starter macrumors member

Is iStats included or do I need to download it? Also, tahnks again everyone for your help!

14. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

you'll need to download istats, congrats on making the right choice ;)

15. Parsec macrumors member

This will answer most of your questions. It is probably good reading for most of the people who were kind enough to respond to your question.

Happy reading and I agree that you made the right choice. I switched from Windows about 2 years ago.

16. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I've never used Time Machine, but from what i gather its more like Shadow Copy which was introduced in Xp Sp2. I never used Shadow Copy so i never felt the need to use Time Machine.

Be aware that all mac torrent programs suck. Luckily uTorrent is in the works and they say it will be done soon.
    If you dont like iTunes and want something more like WinAmp (particularly if you want to sync an apps library to a folder instead of letting iTunes commandeer your music) go grab Cog. Its light, fast, and syncs to a folder so you dont need to 'import' files for the app to see them.
    If you want to write to your windows drive without rebooting you can install MacFuse and NTFS-3G. It allows full read/write access to NTFS drives.
    Dont bother with iChat, get Adium. Not much to explain about adium other than its the best chat program available.