Windows to mac...Software alternatives.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by J273, Sep 7, 2008.

1. J273 macrumors regular

Just made the switch to a macbook pro....love OSX but feel a little lost

Can anyone help with the following?

1.In xp to re size images i always used the image sizer powertoy (right click the image and resize) ..is there anything for mac the same.

2.Any nero alternative.

3.On my xp machine ive changed the location of the my documents folder to and external HD.

So my PICS / MUSIC & VIDEOS all are located on the external HD

Is this possible on the mac?

Thanks

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

1) The built in program preview can crop and rotate images, other than that try a free graphics program such as gimp.

2) Yes, Toast titanium

3) Yes

3. J273 thread starter macrumors regular

ok Thanks

Is it possible to replace the Music/videos/pictures in the home folder with an alias from my external HD.

4. sharky05 macrumors regular

To create an alias you could just drag the folder from your external drive to your home dir, holding down CMD and OPTION. Then rename it as you like.

5. J273 thread starter macrumors regular

Can i though replace the system folders in the Home DIR with those from the external HD?

Thanks

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If the external HDD is on all the time, you can simply drag the folder containing the music, the folder with the pictures and so on, onto the sidebar.
    The sidebar is like a bookmarks holder with aliases , a place where you can put folders, that you access a lot. But the actual folder will not be moved.
    And on the other side you can just drag the OS Documents, Music, ... folders out of the sidebar. They won't be deleted.

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

An easier way to do all that alias stuff is to boot from an external drive altogether. I've never done this before, but searching these forums will provide fruitful results from others who have done it. It's easier than making a bunch of aliases and replacing folders.

8. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

1. rapidoresizer is a freeware app that makes resising images really easy. but instead of rightclicking, you have to drag and drop onto the app, or inside of its window.
    2. what do you really need nero for? toast should be sufficient but i dont really see a need for it. the built in burning software has been fine for me.
    3. and the music and documents directories are located on your mac regardless if you want them on an external drive or not. you can just not use them and use the ones on ur external hd instead though.

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

There are couple of ways to access your music and photos from an external drive. One way is as you suggest, to remove the existing folders and create aliases to the locations on the external drive. This is how I've done it (although with soft links set up in Terminal rather than aliases), just because I sync my iTunes library with another Mac, and I don't want to have to change the default locations.

But the easiest way, if you have only one computer and if you manage your music only from iTunes and use iPhoto for pictures, is to change the locations within the programs themselves. For iPhoto, start it with Option pressed and select the library location. For iTunes change the location in the Preferences/Advanced tab.

10. xrockislife3016 macrumors newbie

I have found that seashore is better than gimp because it is based off gimp but does not require x11 to run