Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdindestin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Northwest Florida
I purchased a used MacPro3,1 with Mavericks preinstalled. I'm a proficient Windows user and was hoping to start looking at converting to Macs.

However, wanted to start playing with iMovie before moving to Final Cut Pro and iMovie is not in the apps. The prior owner must have deleted it.

I have an Apple ID and all but can't reinstall Mavericks via the internet and have no discs. It says the service is temporarily unavailable.

Is there a way to repair Mavericks to include all original software? I'm about to give up and return to Windows.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Then you might would want to try a different approach. If the previous owner deleted that app maybe that person did a lot more. The non-App store connection should bring up a red flag. Maybe a fresh install might help.

First buy a USB3 thumb drive that 8G or better. Once you get the thumb drive follow the steps in article How to make a bootable OS X 10.10 Yosemite install drive. This way you could start fresh with you new Mac.

mdindestin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Northwest Florida
A different tact

I ended up upgrading to Yosemite. Since I'm new to Macs anyway, I might as well cut my teeth on the latest OS.

Once I upgraded, iMovie downloaded without a hitch.

I would have been more impressed with my initiation to Macs if the dialog box would have instructed me to upgrade my OS instead of having me continually wait for the service to no longer be temporarily unavailable.

However, I am liking what I'm seeing. It's an elegant OS.

Thanks for the assistance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.