Windows to OSX: Likes & Dislikes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Richard1028, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

After six months of using OSX now I wanted to share some ramblings from a recent Windows convert. Please “fix” me if I’m wrong and feel free to add:

Like about OSX: No more drive letter prefix. OSX just uses a label for each device. Windows does this too but they’re always preceded by a letter designation starting with “C”. (The letters “A:” and “B:” were reserved to denote archaic floppies back in the day). The problem I had with was when booting up external devices on Windows they would often show up with a different drive letter assignment for each one. This plays havoc for software that looks specifically for a given drive. Plug in a memory card along with a thumb drive and you’re just asking for confusion.

Dislike about OSX: It’s just so damned mouse happy. Call Windows whatever you want but OSX is no match for its keyboard interface with hotkeys and “Alt” key combinations. This is by far my biggest beef with the Mac. If you’re a keyboard junkie like me (translation: too lazy or inept to use the rodent) then you really need to evaluate all the other things you like about a Mac and decide if they outweigh this “defect” in navigating menus and dialog boxes. I’ve managed to figure out (or add) various keyboard shortcuts to do about 90% of what I need but that remaining 10% is sorely missed. (Like the ability to toggle radio buttons and checkboxes without using the mouse). But of course there’s nothing you can do if an application is coded a bit on the stupid side. (e.g. iCal doesn’t use the right/left arrow keys to navigate). So I’m still struggling with this… right now, I’ve got my Finder set to get focus by pressing Cmd+’/’. This at least gets me to the menu bar where I have to pound on the right/down arrow keys to get where I want to go. (Yeah, the track pad is only an inch away but I’m lazy, remember?) I also have my dock configured to “pop up” when pressing Cmd+Enter then I can gleefully arrow left or right to choose the application.

Like about OSX: No viruses. This goes without saying and I really don’t want to get into this now. If market share positions were reversed maybe OSX would have some problems in this area (although not on the same scale as Windows I’m sure). It’s just kind of nice to fly, “under the malicious hacker radar” right now.

Like about OSX: The Finder’s “Column View”. I hated this at first but soon realized it was an alternative to OSX’s inability to sort files in list view with the Folders grouped together. It also keeps things simple and uncluttered for me.

Like about OSX: Installing and uninstalling applications. This really blew me away. Most apps are standalone files that don’t litter your drive with dozens of other files needed to run them after an install. Yes, there are OSX “packages” that install things in your library and document folders without your knowledge but this is nothing like Windows which also has the infamous “system registry”. And I certainly don’t miss “System Restore” one bit. This always bothered me that Microsoft had to build in a band-aid application to protect you from its weaknesses.

Dislike about OSX: Can’t maximize a window. The Zoom feature just doesn’t cut it for me. When you’re working on a 13” screen you want that window to occupy every inch. I did set up a universal “Zoom” shortcut but I get mixed results when I use it. And inversely speaking… there’s no way for OSX to “minimize” all windows and reveal the desktop. (I had to get a third party app for this). Maybe it’s just me, but my workflow hinges around a cluttered desktop and I often need to get there fast.

Like about OSX: Applications just run better. I have nothing to back this up but it just seems they have more “snap” to them even compared to their equivalents on Windows XP. (I'm not talking about games). Running a half dozen CPU intensive mac apps in 4gb memory just doesn’t phase my lowly macbook.

Like about OSX: Time Machine. It simply works.

Like about OSX: Built in PDF creator and reader. I certainly don’t miss bloatware like Adobe Acrobat. What version are they on now… 308.7?

Dislike about OSX: The Finder menubar. NOT the fact it exists… it just seems to be on my screen when it shouldn’t be like when closing a folder window only to have the underlying application appear with the Finder’s menubar still there. This gets annoying when you’re Cmd-Tabbing through a bunch of windows and have to go through another keystroke/mouse click to give your application focus. (Hard to explain).

All in all, I’m satisfied with my switch but I won’t gloss over the shortcomings of OSX for me. But unless Win7 will clean out my garage, clip my toenails and pick up my dog's crap from the neighbor's yard I'll most likely remain a Mac convert. My choice for choosing a mac had a lot to do with hardware reliability, customer support and stability though. It’s hard for me to make a decision based soley on the Operating System which many people do.

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Good rundown comparison, those are the things most new-switchers notice first. But I am glad to see a comparison where the reviewer was not bashing OS X constantly because they had Windows bias. Well done.

3. JDee macrumors 6502a

You actually have the same pros and cons for me!!

nice one.

4. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I've been a Mac convert for 3 1/2 years, and I'd like to speak to some of your dislikes. This is in the vein of YMMV.

1. Mouse Happy. I had just the opposite experience. Coming over from Windows, I was very mouse dependent. Using a mouse on Mac encouraged me to learn keyboard shortcuts for a lot of actions, I'd never bothered to learn them in Windows, just right mouse click and go. Once I learned the shortcuts, or at least some of them, I realized, "Hey, this is faster!".

2. Maximize Window. Missed this greatly when I switched, spent a lot of time resizing windows. Three and a half years later, I find full screen windows annoying, can't see what's going on out back there. It's a matter of what you're used to.

As for Minimizing all windows, Expose has a feature where you push a button, F11, and it moves all windows aside so you can get to the desktop. Might have to use FN+F11, depending on how your keyboard preferences are set.

5. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Just use 4 fingers swipe up to show desktop, works flawlessly and very reactive.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No, windows is mouse dependent. Why do you think most windows programs have those stupid toolbar buttons? So the keyboard can access the buttons? Why do people use the right click so much in windows? OSX is designed to be used by both hand and mouse, aka FPS position. Can you play a FPS with only a keyboard?

Maximize is just a habit of windows users. If you have a 30" display, would you have just one maximized web page? Learn how to multi task by keeping track of different apps on different parts of the screen.

You quit an app with Command+Q. Not the winodws inconsistent way of closing. (Just try Ctrl+W with excel).

7. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

Alas, no can do with the Macbook White.

This freebie app works fine for me: http://www.everydaysoftware.net/showdesktop/

8. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Mouse Happy, I find the converse. Have you seen this:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343

Minimize to show desktop.
    On the trackpad - four fingers up show the desktop, four fingers down show every application. I LOVE this feature. Two finger scrolling ... the bomb.

And in many apps, safari for instance, highlighting a word and Pressing Control+Command+D defines the word, how cool is that.

9. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Two finger scrolling and two finger right click are by far my most used trackpad motions.

10. egk69 macrumors 6502

EDIT: I check and it wasnt on TERMINAL its actually a application, its very light you should try it!
    here's the link to the video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-m5h2SXpsM&feature=channel_page

For it, you can check on Youtube, Search for "thebluehour" check on his videos, it is called "true maximize ....", i would give you the link, but im at work busy right now...

and with expose you can show the desktop, On my MACBOOK you just swipe the 4 fingers up and it moves every window and shows the desktop, it is awesome!!

Hope that helps buddy :D...

11. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Windows users have 30# displays too. Why would you never ever want a window to fill the screen? Besides, I sit here on my 1024*768 iBook cursing the lack of maximise.

Alt - F - x tends to work well in Windows to quit.

I am missing hardware manager. If OSX doesn't detect the hardware you have, there doesn't seem to be a manual way to add it. Tiger wouldn't install my mobile phone on USB, I had to get a bluetooth adapter to make it work.

12. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

I know. That's what I don't like about it. :D

What's a FPS?

Well yeah, I only read one at a time. :) Keep in mind I mainly use a macbook with a 13" screen. I do have a 22" external but even then, I'm only doing one thing at a time with it.

What's inconsistent about Alt+F+X?. True, it's an extra keystroke though.

13. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

On a non-trackpad device, pushing F11 (as previously mentioned) does the same thing. I'm on an iMac, and use it quite often.

14. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yep, I use most of these. My main beef is accessing menus via Alt+hotkeys (which I really miss from Windows).

And I'd give my left testicle for the ability to delete a file without having to press 2 keys. :D

Like I said, the early macbook owners don't have certain gestures you guys have. But I agree... two finger scrolling is great. The 2-finger right-click took some getting used to but I really like it now and I'm all thumbs on a PC with the 2nd button these days.

This I did not know - probably because I never make speling misteaks. :)

15. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hey, I learned something! :)

Missed this in dsnort's post.

16. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Caaauuuse, sometimes I like to do two things at once?

You're a very unhappy Apple owner! If I was that unhappy with a computer, I'd switch! In fact, I did, which explains my presence on this forum.

Seriously, if Windows makes you happy, I'm happy for you!

17. rouse2 macrumors newbie

Alt+F4 will close a window/application in Windows. I've used it for many years and it seems quite universal.

18. gigadigit macrumors member

OSX dislike: Mouse pointer is not responsive. Too sticky when you need accuracy.

OSX dislike: When resizing windows, you have to move the pointer to the bottom right corner. On Windows you can go to any edge and resize the windows.

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Control + the arrow keys works for me. In iCal I can move my scheduled appointments up, down, left and right. I'm not understanding what else you are trying to do.

20. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hey man, you're a lifesaver!

The program you're talking about is called RightZoom and I just installed it:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/30591

Works brilliantly!

21. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Windows does make me happy, but where in my post did I say I was a Mac hater? I mentioned two niggles. I like my little iBook, its like the netbook Apple refuse to release, but it runs Leopard like a dog and Tiger is getting less and less compatible :(

22. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

I just want to go to a blank day and start adding crap without using the mouse. :D

23. egk69 macrumors 6502

yeah, hehehe, sorry i said it was a terminal hack, i forgot it was an aplication!, hehehe i have very bad memory!:D

Thanks man, im happy that i could help you ...

24. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well it still can be done very easily.
    First hit Command N (to open a new window)
    Then hit Command E (to edit your information)
    Use the tab key to navigate through and type in your info)
    When done hit Command E (to close your edit window)
    OR Command I (when your done with your calendar)

Control plus any arrow key will move your calendar to different day and times without opening the edit window.

Did you need to more than that with the keyboard?

Also, when your done with iCal completely hit Command Q (to quit the application)

25. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

Listen, you're trying too hard to understand what I'm saying... :D

Again, the "only" way I know of to go to a blank day is to use the mouse and click on that day.

Now, that being said you can advance from day to day using the Tab key but this only works if there's an event on that day. The arrow keys do nothing by themselves and I don't know why. I guess you have to be a touch typist to notice these things.

Edit: Hey! I reread your post and while not what I was looking for it's really a good workaround. Thanks!