Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
I'm running a Fusion VM using XP SP3. When I first installed the VM, the initial batch of updates (including going from SP2 to SP3) were installed perfectly and all was well.

Lately, however, the updates have been failing on every install attempt, and they've been doing so in a manner that leaves me unable to troubleshoot them (no error code and a very vague "There was a problem installing these updates on your computer" error message).

Any ideas? I'm not sure if this is a Fusion issue or not, but if it were a generic Microsoft error wouldn't it give me some kind of code to troubleshoot?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
I'm running a Fusion VM using XP SP3. When I first installed the VM, the initial batch of updates (including going from SP2 to SP3) were installed perfectly and all was well.

Lately, however, the updates have been failing on every install attempt, and they've been doing so in a manner that leaves me unable to troubleshoot them (no error code and a very vague "There was a problem installing these updates on your computer" error message).

Any ideas? I'm not sure if this is a Fusion issue or not, but if it were a generic Microsoft error wouldn't it give me some kind of code to troubleshoot?

I came across this thread on Google, searching for the same thing. I have the exact same problem. Only thing running on the Windows side is Office 2003.

jsgrabo

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2007
I came across this thread on Google, searching for the same thing. I have the exact same problem. Only thing running on the Windows side is Office 2003.

haha, just did the same thing. im reviving this thread to see we can get some answers.

ant-macyourself

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
Unfortunately this is a Windows XP SP3 problem (surprise, surprise) not a VMWare problem. It's actually a common issue - for some reason SP3 kills all Windows Updates after it is installed. Try using one or both of the methods listed in this Microsoft support document. It worked for me when I had the same problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.