Windows Update for Intel HD graphics for MBA 2011

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jim468, Sep 28, 2011.

1. jim468 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

On bootcamp (Windows 7), Windows Update is now showing an optional update for the Intel HD Graphics.

Are we supposed to update to it or wait for the bootcamp drivers from Apple?

Kindly suggest, thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just use the Windows drivers. Boot Camp drivers are often the same drivers, just 6 months late. A Mac is the same as a PC when you run Windows.

3. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Or you could get the drivers directly from Intel. Windows Update usually does not have the latest version.

You should also make sure you have the latest DirectX runtimes as Microsoft does not update them through Windows Update (Be sure to uncheck the Bing Bar box, MS tries to get you to install it with the DX update)

P.S. Remember to uninstall the old drivers and restart before loading the new ones.

4. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Do you really need to uninstall the old drivers?

Just wondering if I'm not seeing full performance gain from updated drivers.

Thanks for the DX tip. Updating that tonight.

5. jim468 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you both Hellhammer and Quad5Ny. I will be updating the Intel HD drivers and DirectX tonight as well.

6. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

You don't usually see big performance gains (if any at all) from video card driver updates.

The driver updates normally just fix stability issues or provide better compatibility with certain games.

---------

As for uninstalling the old drivers, you don't have to if they're the ones that shipped with Windows. But if your updating ones you installed, then yes it's a good idea to remove the older ones first (it only takes a few seconds).

7. jim468 thread starter macrumors regular

The funny thing is that Windows Update shows an update for Intel HD Graphics to download. However, Intel website's Driver Update Utility says that I already have the latest version (8.15.10.2430) installed... :)

8. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

8.15.10.2509 is the latest.

I've never used the driver update utility, but it's probably buggy or has a out of date driver list.

9. jim468 thread starter macrumors regular

Just wanted to add. By performing this update, my WEI score changed from 5.8 to 5.7 (Graphics: Desktop performance for Windows Aero took the hit!).