Windows update?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Flybus, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Flybus macrumors newbie

Hi all

Just installed Windows 7 64bit on my new MBAir 13". All ok until I did the first big Windows Update, then when prompted to reboot, it couldn't startup. System restore couldn't help.

Should Windows update be on? Bearing in mind we also get updates from Apple? I've not read anything anywhere that says it shouldn't be on.

A couple of other things:
    1. the font doesn't appear as clear as it should be. Have tried different resolutions.
    2. I don't have the option to put the computer to "sleep"
    These both lead me to think it may be a graphics driver problem, it says it's up to date.

Thx

2. DonCarlos macrumors regular

DonCarlos

Is this a Bootcamp install or are you using some sort of virtual program to run windows?

I have W7 on Bootcamp and when I boot into windows it auto checks for updates, that I approve for install. It also has a separate apple updater for programs like quicktime or iTunes, while in W7 )again I choose whether to instal or not to install.

Hope that answers some of your questions. Not sure why the problem for a restart. but I am sure others will have some insight.

3. Starlights macrumors member

Don
    Have you run/installed latest updates from Windows on your machine?

My original install of Win 7 64 works well on my MBA, but i am apprehensive to install any more windows updates, after reading some of the horror stories here (after additional updates from Windows).

I currently use Bootcamp (with the latest updates as offered on Apple Support website)

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

As you would with OS X, you should always keep Windows up to date, you running into trouble was sheer bad luck, and it happens.

As for the font, Windows runs a different font rendering tech than OS X, so the lettering will appear different. Search for 'ClearType' in the start menu, and 'Adjust ClearType Text' will appear, run through this little Wizard, and adjust the font accordingly, till it suites you.

If you run Safari on your Windows partition, it has an option for 'Font Smoothing' in Preferences, which makes the text appear more like OS X.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Sounds like you didn't install the Boot Camp drivers after installing Windows.

6. DonCarlos macrumors regular

DonCarlos

Yup. I really haven't had any problems with the W7 updates and as mentioned before, you should keep Windows updated.

I have been doing the updates since November of 2009 and I have never identified any problems with doing so. I check about every other day and there is usually a "definitions for security" update sitting in there. As I mentioned before as well, I choose what to install, and then hit the install button.

Here's an example of the updates since early February 2011.

[​IMG]

7. DonCarlos, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

DonCarlos macrumors regular

DonCarlos

....and also to confirm that you updated Bootcamp (should be version 3.2) from this site http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/ for your 64 bit (I am using 32 bit so that may be the difference in any issues you may or may not are be encountering). I saw someone throw in that thought of the install and that's why I mentioned this.

As you may know, you can click the little grey diamond on your W7 tool bar and select Bootcamp Help from the drop menu, for that update issue, under the Installing and repair subtopic.

Keep us updated on your progress or any other issues you may discover. Unlike me, people here are very knowledgable. LOL

8. Flybus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all that everyone.

Did a 3rd clean Windows 7 reinstall, then boot camp etc and all Windows updates now working fine. Boocamp 3.2 also fine.

My only remaining problem is the slightly blurred looking appearance. Had tried Clear font already, no real difference. I'm thinking it could be the graphics driver, as I still don't have the option for sleep in the menu, which is normally a graphics issue. The device manager says it's up to date, but is merely listing a generic graphics card. Tried a manual update through the Nvidia site but although the driver says it's for Win 7 when you try to run it it's actually Vista and gets thrown out.

Any ideas?

Thx

9. vistadude macrumors 65816

Don't run windows updates. They are not thoroughly tested yet. A lot of the bootcamp software/drivers are basically hacks for windows, and can break down with normal windows update.

Keep windows 7 stock with bootcamp 3.1. That seems to work well. Bootcamp 3.2 + Service Pack 1 are not really tested well yet.

Edit: Keep defender and your antivirus updated though. That should stop all the security concerns.

10. DonCarlos macrumors regular

DonCarlos

??? Well that's a pretty overall definitive statement.

My experience has been-no problems. I still believe anyone running windows should keep up with the updates.

Any others want to chime in their experience or information to lessen or add to this discussion of window updates?