Windows Updates -agggggggghhhhhhh

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Killerbob, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I finally caved in and installed Windows 7 in Bootcamp. Until now I had been OK with running it through Parallels, just for two programs not available for Mac, but now I want to do some gaming.

Since installing it, and I had a few problems, I am overwhelmed with how many updates there are. I have booted into Windows for two days now, and I must have installed at least 100 updates. They just keep coming...

Even back when I was using Windows on PCs, I don't remember it being this bad. Is it just a startup issue, of are there really that many?

I just booted into Windows, and had 6 updates; security updates for .NET framework, as well as a general update.

Amongst the problems I had was; I have a Mac Pro with drives in all 4 bays, and supposedly Windows (Bootcamp) can only be installed into Disk1. Also, I have the ATi HD4870 Graphics card, and every other time I reboot, it reverts to VGA, and I need to reinstall the Catalyst Drivers.

I hate Windows, but I want to game...

/Bo

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes, that's normal to have bunches of updates. Every 2nd Tuesday of the month in the late afternoon, Microsoft pushes out updates. If the update is severe enough, they'll do out-of-cycle updates.

After a fresh install of Windows, it takes a few restarts to get all the updates installed.

3. SpazzyMac macrumors regular

SpazzyMac

this is why I slipstream my windows installations with updates ;)
    or just get it from the internet, then using my own code for windows
    if the download was, ultimate and yours was home premium, all you have to do is slipstream it so it's home premium, saves alot of hassle!

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's important to remember that after you get your initial setup done, and aggressively pursue all updates, then it calms down to the regular release cycle as stated in the posts above.

While not as simple as Mac, the various updates that are pushed out for windows are both important and valuable. It's just one aspect of being vigilant on keeping ones computer up to date, and a reminder of the importance of practicing safe computing.

No platform is perfect, the all have their pros and cons.

5. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

It may level out, but for some reason some of the updates "failed", and I can't get it to retry. I guess it'll sort itself out.

It is much slower than OSX as well. The startup and just usage in general, feels more sluggish. It all came back to me, and I remember why I switched to Mac.

What about these drivers? As I am running Windows 7 on a Mac Pro, can I only use the Apple provided Bootcamp drivers, or is it fair game on drivers? Can I for instance DL the latest AMD drivers for the ATi HD4870 graphics card?

/Bo

6. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I always update the GPU drivers with the latest release from the manufacturer, but I wouldn't mes with anything else. The fact that Windows works as well as it does in boot camp is great. With a Mac Pro + boot camp, you're getting the best Windows experience there is. Think about that! ;)

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

Install SP1, then turn off auto updates. It's safe enough.

8. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Same here, I get like 30 to 40 updates on my Windows box per month... just insane.
    On the Mac side, I get much fewer updates but they're in the 1GB range :rolleyes: