Windows user having second thoughts about purchasing a Macbook please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ruane89, Jan 16, 2008.

1. ruane89 macrumors member

ok heres the deal , done loads of research on this machine and decided i wantesd to buy one! Ordering it tomorrow but now im having second thoughts. Prepared to spend 800 quid(sterling) on one with student discount! Im prepared to buy 4gb ram from elsewere and buy the mid range model that is 2.2ghz and 120gb harddrive, with a sleeve for it and possibly a bluetooth mouse. However am i paying over the top, will i regret my decision. Will need a reliable and powerful laptop for applications like Photoshop, Adobe premiere, illustrator, webpage design software, Games like football manager. Im prepared to also install microsoft xp to use vmware for games and programs like microsoft word etc., am I making a good choice or is it worth waiting! ive waited from november until now because of macworld but no change to the current range. PLEASE HELP ME!!

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It's a great machine and I'm sure you'll love it.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

DO IT DO IT DO IT

Run Office 2008 on the OS X side if you're buying Office.

4. Hooka macrumors regular

Hooka

you buy the computer that you need today and the one that is being offered. it's just that simple.

How much do you really need this computer, you have gone without it now for at least 2 months.

5. tiamat1990 macrumors member

I don't know about the price because I too am buying my first Macbook.

About the updates...if history is true then a minor update should come during May. The update will probably be very small.

6. ruane89 thread starter macrumors member

Need laptop badly! have a packerd bell easy note r9 and without a doubt is the worst purchase ever! The power supply cable is completly broken, battery lasts 20 mins, 5 keys ripped off, so i waited until after xmas as i was off uni for december and start up again in 2 weeks. I will need to use all these applications but on the other hand i will find myself playing football manager,internet,music and possibly burning disks all at the same time(will this machine with 4gb of ram handle this easily) because im a student i dont wana buy a machine that will be cheaper next week if ya get me, i know pcs and laptops drop in value every few months but this range was last updated in november, will i expect to see a change within the next 3 months??

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

stop worrying and go buy it,i promise you,you wont look back

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

9. kg1984 macrumors member

I'm not sure why you are doubting whether 4GB will be enough. It would be financially unfeasible for you, as a student, to have anything greater than this amount in a laptop. :confused::rolleyes:

Make sure you are on your campus in a computer room when you order, and select the Store for Higher Education, it gives you a greater discount than just the regular Store for Education price (you probably knew this already) - but it's only accessible through uni networks.

MacBooks won't update for a while and prices never drop, only specs change. The SR MacBook is a fantastic machine (I'm typing this post on one).

10. ruane89 thread starter macrumors member

ye know this already, but i see you can actually ring up through a special line and am prepared to do this, one stupid thing to ask lol what does unfeasible mean??

11. Nick T. macrumors regular

ruane89 - - Since you have waited over two months already, and are willing to wait for three more months hoping for a price decrease, it seems to me that you do not really need a new computer.

Do not covet thy neighbor's computer!

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Stop thinking about it and just go and do it :p

Buy it buy it buy it, it'll be the best computer you've ever bought :) Trust me, I went through exactly the same thing as you a year and a half ago (except with a MacBook Pro).

:apple:

13. kg1984 macrumors member

Impossible, unlikely. Because buying RAM over 4GB is currently very expensive (i.e. 1 x 4GB dimm, not 2 x 2GB), perhaps more than your macbook would cost (I haven't checked prices recently).

14. ruane89 thread starter macrumors member

2 x 2gb ram only costing me 55 quid

im not prepared to wait another 3 months just wondering if there would be a change