Windows User switching over to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vder, Sep 19, 2007.

1. vder macrumors newbie

I will be going to the Apple store later today to look at a Mac Pro. I wil be switching over from windows and I am curious on what reccomendations some may have on what options to get .I am considering going with the base machine and upgrading the ram amout and video card on my own. Any advicve would be greatly appreciated. TIA

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You can't easily upgrade the video card on your own. I would suggest BTO and upgrading it when you buy. The base model should be fine, but what are you going to be using it for? Also, do you need to make the purchase now? The mac pro's have not been updated in a long time. Some are hoping they will be updated by November.

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Seeing as Intel has officially announced that their new workstation processors and chipset are set to hit retail channels by November 11th, I would certainly wait a bit.

If you do not have that luxury I would most likely order the base model and upgrade with ram from elsewhere than Apple.

4. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

FYI, the local stores usually only carry the 2.66ghz model with the standard configuration. The real "base" model is the 2ghz model which you can order from the online store.

5. roybfr macrumors member

I just switched. Bought a 2.66, have upgraded the RAM to 7gb, also bought and installed the XT1900 card (installed the card myself, it was very easy). I have also add 3 hds from them PC, 2 500gb and one 750gb.

From a speed stand point I am happy. I had a Q6600 running Vista right before, and I can't say that this machine feels slow in comparison. The only places it does feel a little slower are when playing WMV through the divx player but that seems to be more of a software/codec issue as video that opens in quick time is quick.

I know that new ones may come out in the next few months but I did not want to wait and have no regrets of not doing so.

If you really want the $2499 model with the XT1900 the thing to consider is that when you order it you will get credit for the removal of the Nvidia 7300 car vs if you do it at the store you total out of pocket will be a little more, but you will have instant gratification and you could sell the 7300 on ebay for around 65 or save it if you ever wanted to run 3 monitors.