windows user wants to backup to 2nd hard drive

Discussion in 'iPod' started by boxarox, Apr 19, 2007.

1. boxarox macrumors newbie

Having lost my itunes library once, I really don't want it to happen 2x. I have a second drive in my computer just for media and Music file storage and backups. Apple Help only has instructions for backing up to a CD or DVD. Is there a way to Backup to a second harddrive without having to be a programmer? I'm sure Apple has made this difficult to safegaurd copywrites, but what seems like it should be relativly easy, seems to be deliberately "discouraged" by the itumes software.

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

It's actually pretty easy. Just locate your iTunes Music folder and drag it onto you external. That should copy your entire library, along with metadata. The only reason this wouldn't work is if you don't have the "copy to iTunes library" preference off. As long as you have that preference on, and music gets copied to that folder whenever you import, then all your music should be in that one folder and all you need to do is drag and drop.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

4. triobot macrumors member

triobot

Wow, this has little/nothing to do with iTunes or iPod just a problem which is solved by copying and pasting

-_-