Windows Users are Lucky! 2.1 has been Jailbroken!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Rapmastac1, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Ladies and Gentlemen, we now have a Jailbreak! This came up a few hours ago and after reading most all of the pages, you can see that it indeed does work!

2. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

does this work if i am already on 2.1?

today something REALLY weird happened. i was trying to jailbreak to 2.01 from 1.1.4 but it kept failling. i then quit out and restored using itunes 8.0, and it said restore and update, so i clicked that, and it gave me official firmware 2.1 for free. i didnt even have a credit card on file. i didnt have 2.0 previously either. im guessing i when the jailbreak process failed the first time, it already tricked the ipod into thinking it was 2.01 or something.

3. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Yes, you have to have it in 2.1 for it to work. This is like, a half jailbreak in a sense. Third party apps do work but for some reason Cydia isn't showing up. This isn't the official DEV TEAM'S jailbreak but it is as close as we can get for about a week.

Lots of members on the other forum have tried and it does work. You can SSH into the ipod and install apps and themes and stuff.

Good luck!

I wasn't going to try this out, but I might as well power up my Windows Machine and give it a try! I will get on it bright and early tomorrow morning, since I don't need it at work, I should be ok!

4. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I successfully Jailbroke my iPod running 2.1! This is so awesome. This isn't for the feint of heart and requires you to be on a Windows PC. But man it's awesome!

5. Goroke macrumors member

6. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Here is another link, hopefully this one works better!

EDIT - The original creator has now made a method that doesn't force you to use Totalcommandor (of course, after I already did all that). Here is a quote -

Scratch that as well! The DEV TEAM has released the official 2.1 Jailbreak - http://www.quickpwn.com/ - Enjoy!

7. ozzylow macrumors newbie

8. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

9. Link2999 macrumors 6502

What're you talking about? Pwnage tool (for 2.1) is out for the Mac OSX too.

10. sharp65 macrumors 6502

This isn't the official one, it was made by a community member.

11. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

And a note to that, it was never mentioned as official. If you can see the other threads, there is one that says "OFFICIALLY RELEASED" on the DEV blog site.

This is the method I used, that is why I posted it.

12. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    yay!

I just jailbroke my iPod touch using pwnage tool!! Go 2.1!

13. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Well if you noticed, this thread came out about a day and a half ahead of the Mac release (can't change thread names here). I was going to start a new thread but decided against it since no one paid any mind to my "Official" thread tracking the progress of the jailbreak.

They released QuickPwn 1.1 for Mac last night and it will hack your 2.1 iPod Touch, it is not compatible with 2nd Gens so keep that in mind.