Windows Video Drivers for Late 2008 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by furrot, Nov 9, 2008.

1. furrot macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to get the drivers on my new Macbook Pro up to date since they seem to be quite behind the current ones. I've looked at a couple sites like laptopvideo2go and am still having problems getting the 9400m enabled with Hybrid Power. As most new MBP owners know, these things get really hot in windows do to a lack of fan management and because the 9600m GT is on full bore the whole time.

So far I tried two sets of drivers, one that installed good and one that died horribly. The one that messed up was an older driver that I tried to install over a newer one, which appeared to have been a mistake. The one I have found to be working fairly well is 180.42. This was the recommended driver for the 9600 but it still doesn't let me use the 9400 or even recognize it. 180.42 install with no problems but I've been noticing a strange bug in Warhammer Online now where it doesn't seem to load the correct LoD textures after alt-tabbing. I had tried switch to 178.24 but it ended kinda badly and I had to install 180.42 over it again to get my card to recognize. I'm also not sure if the bug I'm seeing is driver related since I can't rollback to the BootCamp driver.

So, am I the only one out there trying to break his $2k laptop or has anyone figured out a good way to get Hybrid Power and the 9400M working in their new MBP?

2. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

First thing whenever you "roll back" an nvidia driver you need to make sure to uninstall the old one first or you will have problems most of the time. I am assuming you are using laptopvideo2go drivers... some of the drivers on there do not have the 9600 gt in the INF file that is for download, so you may have to add it to avoid messages like "Coud not detect an nvidia video card" or some message like that.

I have tried many of the drivers, the best ones so far are the 179.13 .. but really i dont think there are any really good drivers out for this card yet, as my fps are lower than my old MBP's 8600 in TF2.

hope this helps, if you need help modding the INF reply here and ill post some screens of how to get your hardware id.

3. furrot thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the main problem I'm having is just getting it to recognize the 9400M. It seems like since I have two cards that the Nvidia Updater is only interested in patching one of them.

I'm kinda disappointed in both Apple and Nvidia since it seems like there's no way to get support for the new Macbook Pro graphics features from either of them.

4. Mercellus macrumors regular

I believe at this point in time that Windows on the new MacBook Pro can only see and utilize the GeForce 9600M GT discrete graphics processor, it is unable to access the GeForce 9400M graphics processor at all.