Windows virtualisation and backup

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by zlinuk, Sep 18, 2010.

1. zlinuk macrumors member

So, I need to install windows on my iMac.

The plan is to install it in under bootcamp so that my better half can boot to windows for her stuff, which is straight forward enough.

I will probably install parallels (or similar) to give myself the option of either boot to windows or access it virtually.

Now, on the basis that this is a first for me I have a couple of questions that I could do with answering from those that know this stuff.

1. Am I likely to run into any windows licensing issues. I'm assuming that I will only need 1 license.

2. If I edit a file, a word .doc for example, in a virtual window, is that edit saved to the original file? eg if I then boot to windows and open the file, then the edits made virtually are there. Simple stuff I know, but like I said, it's a first for me.

3. What are my options for backing up the windows partition, can I back it up using Time Machine / Capsule, if not how do you guys n gals do it?

Any other tip or pitfalls will also be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

2. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

I use VMWare Fusion on my Mac for Window Accounting Programs and couldn't be happier.

- I do a full windows backup while running windows as one protection and then use superduper on the mac side and backup the VMWare Folder. If I have problem, just restore backup to same directory.

- 2 years running, both XP and upgraded to 7, not a single problem with VMWare Fusion.:D

- As long as you have 1 legit copy, you should have no problem.
    - Every now an then, if I change location of director, Windows wants me to re-validate my copy.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Both VMWare Fusion and Parallels support booting your Boot Camp install and provide tools to assist WGA to see both ways of running it as a single system. Yet, I've had "hiccups" about once every year or two when Windows asks me to re-activate, usually after a VMWare upgrade. So it's not flawless.
    Generally yes.

As long as you save it to "C:" the Boot Camp drive it will be common.

However, both Parallels and Fusion allow for sharing Mac OS X folders as "network shares" if you saved a file there while running a VM it would not be accessible as the same filename in Boot Camp.
    This is one advantage of a fully virtual configuration. it automatically gets backed up by Time Machine. A hybrid Boot Camp/VM install is a bit trickier now that Winclone is gone... You can use a Windows based imaging software like Acronis True Image Home + Plus Pack, the in-built Windows 7 back up, etc..., but I am not aware of a direct replacement for Winclone. "Live" imaging and restoring of the Windows partition from OS X.

Personally, my Windows partitions are backed up to my Windows Home Server that is also the target of my Time Machine backups using the WHS backup client.

B