Windows Vista, A Virus say schoolkids

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yoyo5280, Sep 18, 2007.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

So, my school just purchased a brand new batch of expensive new IT equipment, new routers, Dell Craptops, and more. The Craptops are ALREADY defective and having more problems then the old ones. I said, using one in science class, that we should have macs. Surprisingly most of my classmates agreed, and most of them where not geeks like me. Then one, non geeky kid, started telling me (and he didn't know me well, so had no idea I was geeky) "You know how macs are really good? Well windows made a new thing trying to be good like mac called vista, but it turned into a virus and now all these people bought it and have viruses on their computers now. So we should have macs." AND HE WAS NOT JOKING!!!!!

I LOVE THIS! :):):apple::apple::p:p:D:D:apple::apple:

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

THAT KID IS WRONG BUT OHHHHH SO RIGHT!!!

After that comment, surely he has become your favourite. ;)

3. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

What grade are you in? That kid sounds quite computer illiterate!

4. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

for 8th grade yes he is. Either way, this is the impression of windows vista to very tech illiterate people. I virus you pay for.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Everyone in my school calls it Windows "Veesta" :D

6. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

What does this paragraph even mean? Is this sort of like patting your back for having an apple?

7. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Well might be your impression and the impression of the illiterate 8th grader guy but I'm not sure what would make you or the 8th grader think vista is a virus :confused:

I've been using it now since the initial release and its rock solid and has been running virus and spyware free even though I dont run any AV or spyware stuff...just what vista (64bit) comes with which is Defender. I know the box is clean because once every month I'll just do a scan with Trend's web based scanner from their site.

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

You must be lucky .... many of my friends using Vista are not so lucky, two of them have gone back to xP.

10. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I quite like Vista. Been using it ever since I got my new (uber cheap) dell.

People just don't give it a chance. Reminds me of when XP came out :)

11. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Not sure what issues they might have had but so far in my circle I run Vista64 on a quad core box with 4gig RAM, friend runs vista32 on a laptop with 1GB, another friend is running vista32 on a laptop with 2GB and at work we have 2 notebooks with Vista32 and 10 desktops now with Vista32.

In terms of stability, its been flawless. I couldnt ask for me really. The only issues I've come across is on our work machines, our older Mcafee 8 was not compatible but Mcafee had a free update to 8.5 so we downloaded and used that. Someone wanted to use their old version of Roxio software which was not compatible so they ended up just using the built in burning tools for now.

Now the stuff said above really is no different than when XP first came out. I remember EZ CD creator 3.5 wouldnt work so an update to 4.01 fixed the issue..etc. Its just an issue of some people having to let go of some very old legacy software and going with something newer. I'm sure there are some OSX software release back when it was version 10.1 or 10.2 that might not run flawlessly under 10.4 or 10.5... Doesnt mean the new OS sucks because of that.

12. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

It's great to hear that kids today are more accepting of Macs. Back when I was in high school (roughly 10 years ago) Macs were considered lesser computers and if you used one everyone made fun of you.

So it's great to hear that kids are recognizing a superior product. :)

No, it sucks for many other reasons. ;)

Actually, just today I heard a little quote that made me chuckle.

:D