Windows Vista Driver Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Helixc0de, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Helixc0de macrumors regular

Well I recently boot camped my Macbook pro 2011 13 inch. I boot camped it with windows Vista 32 bit. I cant seem to find a Ethernet driver or a wifi adapter driver anywhere. I can only access the internet via Bluetooth through tethering from my iphone 4. If anyone has a download link or somewhere I can access a bluetooth driver that would be great. Whenever i try to use the OS x disc to install the drivers it says I need windows 7. I dont have access to windows 7 so Please help!

2. Helixc0de thread starter macrumors regular

3. xdbuix macrumors 6502

i had the exact same problem. Unfornately i got some bad news, i read vista isnt officially supported anymore. You might have to switch to windows 7 which I did.

4. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Vista isn't a good operating system. It was extremely short lived. I have seen it on a Mac PRO tower and it only displayed 2 GB of the actual 5 GB of RAM that was there. Boot into OSX and that shows 5 GB that I know the machine has. Not to mention frequent crashes etc etc. Windows Vista is like a band aid for Microsoft between XP and 7. Even windows users seem to think its a terrible OS. Windows 7 is much better, and worth getting if you have to run windows.

5. Helixc0de thread starter macrumors regular

Well does anyone know how I can install windows 7 for free? I can't afford it at this time.

6. superkrups20056 macrumors member

That's probably because it was a 32 bit copy instead of a 64 bit copy.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Vista isn't supported, nobody can be of any help to you, besides, vista sucks, get windows 7.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Not legally, no. Some schools offer free licences to their students, if you are a student maybe look into that.

9. Helixc0de thread starter macrumors regular

So basically what you guys are saying is that it is impossible to access the internet on windows vista on a macbook pro? or can I just get the driver I cant get windows 7 I cant afford it....:apple:

10. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

A driver probably exists somewhere on the Intel site, but it wouldn't be labeled for Apple hardware.

11. eljanitor, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

You can hunt across the internet to find a driver that will work for you. There are many windows drivers that work on different manufacturers hardware. It's just that you have to find them. I wish you the best of luck in finding a free copy of Windows 7 that isn't some kind of pirate, and that hasn't already been registered.

You can however buy an upgrade disk for $150 and up that will let you upgrade Vista to Windows 7. However you can't upgrade a 32 bit version to a 64 bit, so you will have to get the 32 bit upgrade.

You could also install a program like parallels that will let you run windows vista as a virtual machine.

Heres a link for windows upgrade info for you
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/list/categoryID.50726100?WT.mc_id=pointitsem_US_Google_5-Windows7_generic_upgrade2&wt.term=windows%20upgrades&wt.campaign=*5+-+Windows+7&wt.content=nKCDcX1K&wt.source=google&wt.medium=cpc&WT.srch=1

12. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

if you go back to an older version of osx,like 10.5 or 10.4 vista will work,i installed it on my sisters 15" 2010 version.

13. mikeytwice macrumors member

You can find Windows 7 for free, but it won't be legal.

Though probably still not legal, if you're a student, have an alumni (.edu) email or know someone with a .edu email, you can take advantage of this $30 upgrade:
    http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/windows/buynow/default.aspx

Or, you can go the totally legal route here for $70:
    http://www.onlinedigitalitems.com/Windows-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade/product/364E823B

Having used both Vista and 7 for extended periods, I can say that the $70 upgrade is absolutely worth it. Windows 7 is a good and usable OS, whereas Vista is just a nightmare. And you'll save time not looking for drivers.

Remember to get a 64-bit version...