Windows Vista Installation

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Tarek, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Tarek macrumors 6502

Hello,

[​IMG]

-------------------------------------------------

Then I managed to create another partition using Disk Utility instead of Boot Camp. However, when I try to install Windows on it, that's what it gives me:

[​IMG]

I tried two partition formats, MS-DOS (FAT32) and Macintosh Extended (Journaled), and gives me the same thing every time. I read about that error and came up with two things:

First - what it means -
    Second - how to fix that -
    I am not sure if that means all the partitions will be destroyed on the Disk (including the Macintosh HD) because I wouldn't want to do that. I have a lot of data on the Mac HD, a lot of updates that I don't want to re-download, and no external hard drive in order to back up using Time Machine or something. Does any one have any idea on what can be done right now? Thank you.

2. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

That initial error means you need to defrag your mac partition to make enough contiguous free space to create the bootcamp volume. After you've deleted the volume you created and a time machine backup you need a bootable disk defrag like Techtool or diskwarrior.

After that start boot camp again - Vista and 7 need the FAT32 it creates erased and reformatted in NTFS.