Windows Vista on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jchang1985, Aug 30, 2009.

1. jchang1985 macrumors newbie

I finally got Vista to install on my mac pro, but the problem is that when boot camp said to use my Mac OS X install disc to install drivers, I couldn't find any drivers on the CD. Am I using the OS X drivers in mac side or windows side? Also, the biggest hurdle is that I can't get online in vista for downloading other drivers. This is something I've never done before and I can't seem to get any good help on the issue. Has anybody else put XP Ultimate on a Mac Pro here before?

2. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I dunno much about BC but I can share my experience. The drivers on the OS X DVD don't work. You have to hit a pirate site... errm, torrent sites, to get a set that work. For me on a 2.66 2006 machine 2.0 with Vista Ultimate 64-bit is the only set that actually work. Nothing prior and nothing after - including the newer 3.x sets. Beyond that I dunno what else to say.

3. rub macrumors member

i've used x64 vista and i'm using x64 windows 7 now. i have a pretty recent OEM leopard disc from a friend that i've used to put on the drivers. in windows, it doesn't work through the auto run feature, but if you dig through the CD to the 64 bit drivers folders, there's an installer. the 64-bit drivers work for both vista and 7.

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

It is correct to boot into the installed Windows from your Windows drive or partition and call up the content of the Leopard install DVD withWindows explorer. From there it depends very much of the Windows version you are using and how old your Leopard disk is. Let us consider several cases.

1. You are installing Vista 32-bit. You should simply find a file called setup.exe in the root folder of the Leopard disk. Run this file as administrator and you should be done.

2. You are installing Vista 64-bit. Browse through the Leopard disk to a folder Drivers/Apple and find a file Bootcamp64.msi. You run this again as administrator by right clicking your mouse and selecting the admin install option and you should be all set.

3. You cannot find the Bootcamp64.msi file on your Leopard disk, because you have an old Leopard disk. You have the option to find a newer disk (must be 2008 or 2009) or find a set of drivers on the internet. They are approximately 400 MB and usually come in three or four zipped files. You need to unzip them together to make the zipper arrange them in the proper folder as they were on the Leopard disk or you automatic install will not work.