Windows Vista or Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by decdonald, Mar 15, 2009.

1. decdonald macrumors newbie

Which is better? Windows Vista or Macbook? Why?

2. coronel mustard macrumors member

coronel mustard

hard to make a comparison really, since one is an os and another is a computer. However, go with the macbook- OS X is far better than vista and if you feel the urge for vista, you can install it via bootcamp on the macbook.

3. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

MacBook is a NoteBook by Apple.
    Windows Vista is an operating system by Microsoft.
    With a MacBook you can run Windows Vista
    Therefore, none is better.

4. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Are you seriously asking this on Macrumors.com?
    You know what they answer is going to be. Save your time and ours and search up the attributes of each.

Even though Vista is an operating system and a MacBook is a computer. :rolleyes:

5. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Yeah, he better go to something like Windowsrumors :p (is there even such a thing? :eek: )
    But using some logics, I say that the MacBook, since it's a computer, is better because Vista is an operating system and you need a computer to run an operating system. Unless of course you prefer staring at a retail box.

6. kasakka macrumors 65816

Windows 7 > OSX > Vista. IMO.

The Macbook is a good looking laptop with a really good trackpad and otherwise not so great specs.

7. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

A $300 netbook with dual boot Windows 7 and OS X 10.5.6 would be the best in my opinion :D

8. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

Hmm. The only thing I miss from Microsoft is that little Paint program. Otherwise, MS can take their Windows and go jump in the lake.

9. raremage macrumors 6502a

One of the things I love about Microsoft software is that the version that is not out yet is always the best one, and usually will be better than what Apple is currently shipping.

10. kasakka macrumors 65816

Snow Leopard doesn't seem to be bringing anything new in the usability department, just performance. Windows 7 on the other hand is all about making Win easier to use along with performance improvements.

Apart from better keyboard shortcuts and far superior program installation paradigm, I don't find that OSX offers much over Windows 7 to me. Win7's taskbar is better than the Dock, I find that it's easier to handle windows in it, the file browser is better and so on.

11. raremage macrumors 6502a

And this negates my comment...how?

Despite being in beta, there are already significant questions related to the redesign of the security model in Win7. Stability is still an issue. Upgrade path is incomplete or not fully worked out. Backward compatibility is and will continue to be an issue. Now one could argue that these are all issues that will improve in time, as the release approaches.

In reality, in the case of every Windows release as far back as Windows 2000, the OS has struggled in prime time use until the first service pack. So even if it releases on schedule, you're most likely facing at least another six months post release until the OS truly stabilizes.

As an aside, I worked for Microsoft for about 4 years before I left to start my own company. We make a lot of money consulting on Microsoft infrastructure and development projects - it's been our core business for the past five + years. I feel confident that I know my way around their approach to releases and the technology, and so feel qualified in sticking to my original assessment - the version that is "coming soon" is always the one that will make everything better.

12. domcole macrumors regular

Your going to get some biased comments on a 'Mac' forum.

Google Mac Vs Windows.

13. kasakka macrumors 65816

I have to disagree. Since Win7 is based on Vista, it is already pretty solid. With Vista it was indeed SP1 that made it work nicely, but I don't think Win7 will run into these issues. I've run the Win7 public beta as my main OS since it was released and it has been extremely stable, fast and reliable. The only bugs I've noticed have been rather minor.

Software or driver compatibility isn't an issue either, Vista drivers work just fine though some installers may have to be run in Vista compatibility mode. The only programs that don't run as they should are things that muck with the insides of the system, namely antivirus, firewall, virtual drive etc programs.

Windows 7 is the first Windows in a long time that actually improves the user experience a lot. It seems they've finally understood the importance of listening to their customers and giving them what they want, something Apple seems to be slowly losing. If MS continues on this route then the next one will make a good OS even better, just like every new OSX release does.

I've considered OSX the easiest to use operating system for a long time, but now Win7 has overtaken it in my book.

14. raremage macrumors 6502a

Which only proves my argument. Win7 is the next version, which has not yet been released, and is being touted as the answer to all the Vista problems. I'm confident that they will (a) make their dates, and (b) do so without dropping any of the new features.

So basically, with a touch of luck, we can agree that in Mid-2010 Microsoft may release the OS X killer.

15. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

I thought it would be a sin to say such a thing on this forum, but I've had the same feelings since they released the Windows 7 beta. I'll be sticking with OS X for a good while still, but when I'm in the market for a new computer, which won't be for another year or two probably, I might switch back to Windows, depending on how it all plays out.

16. GrannieSmith macrumors newbie

And after seeing the disaster that is my husband's HP PC with Vista, I certainly hope Windows 7 will correct the problem.

17. james-thescalie macrumors member

havnt read the other posts just beacuse my tea is cooking but want to offer help.

Get a macbook. Vista is shocking if your going for a windows machine at least wait for windows 7. or roll back to xp sp2 or something. seriously vista sucks balls

18. TheSandman2236 macrumors 6502

Guys...you were all just trolled. This guy is a new user and a newbie, hasn't posted back yet. Move along...:apple:

19. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

You're either completely clueless or a troll.

20. MoreThanTable macrumors newbie

21. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That's been the basis for every thread from this guy.

22. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac