Windows(vista) OSX file sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VPrime, Jan 7, 2009.

1. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

For some reason I am having some issues with the sharing to work correctly. This worked before I reinstalled OS X, but no longer working..
    I want to share certain folders as read only, and be viewable in the "my networks" area in Vista.

In OSX, I have file sharing enabled with SMB. Where I select share files and folders using smb I put a check beside my username.

I put "read only" on "Every one" and the windows machine can still write.
    So I put "read only" on every one (and my user is in there twice for some reason?) and still can write to the folder!? what is going on?

Also, I used to view windows shared folders in finder automatically. Now I have to go to finder >go> Connect to view it.. No longer automatically shows up in the networks.. Also the icon is no longer a windows BSOD as it used to be before I reinstalled.
    Same with viewing shared OS X folders in windows, I now have to manually type in the ip.. It used to automatically show up in the network palces?

What am I doing wrong?
    [​IMG]Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch
    [​IMG]
    Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch
    [​IMG]Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

2. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

Any one out there know how? I really dont understand why it is giving write privileges with out my permission!?

I also tried creating a new user, then giving that user read only as well. Then disable the guest account. But Windows computers can no longer connect at all.

I remember before the reinstall that I had read only working, so I know it is possible!

Thanks.