Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

williamjems

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
Hi all,

I have installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit on AMD 64 4000+ system with 4Gb of ram, however in system menu shows that the windows detects only 3.25Gb. Any ideas why this is so?
Thanks in advance.

fishyuk

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
Near London UK
Hi all,

I have installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit on AMD 64 4000+ system with 4Gb of ram, however in system menu shows that the windows detects only 3.25Gb. Any ideas why this is so?
Thanks in advance.

Seems odd but are you using an integrated graphics system board (e.g. Radeon 3200 or nvidia). If so it is probably allocating that much RAM to itself. You may be able to change the allocation amount in the graphics driver panel or otherwise from the system BIOS. I know on the AMD/ATI 3200based systems (780G chipset) you can change the BIOS to Auto/128/256/512MB allocated.

Have a similar problem with my Macbook Pro running x86 Vista. Only seeing about 2.7GB when should see about 3.5. Seems to be the integrated nVidia card hogging the RAM but I don't have a clue how to change the allocation on a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.