Windows Vista refuses to install on my Macbook

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by panicwaves, Apr 10, 2009.

1. panicwaves macrumors newbie

I have tried partitioning my drive, and i set the partition to 32gb. okay, that's done and everything went well. then i put in Windows Vista Home Premium cd and clicked start installation. done! so it rebooted. i tried letting it load by itself and not touch anything, also tried pressing the option key and clicking windows. but both came out with the same result: a grey screen FOREVER AND EVER. i even tried letting it remain like this for an hour, but still the grey screen of death. i know the vista cd works as ive tried using it in vmware fusion. but vmware fusion is too laggy as i only have 1 gb of ram. also, i even tried reformatting it twice in case there was maybe something that hindered it from loading but noooooo still that bloody greyness. mac experts, please please please help me! i need windows for school!

thanks in advance!!

2. acurafan macrumors 6502a

did you partition via the boot camp utility: applications > utilities > boot camp assistant; or just thru disk utility?

it should work if you done it thru boot camp and vista is bootable cd.

3. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Is this a 64-Bit version of Windows that you are trying to install? Boot Camp only works with 32-Bit editions of Windows. The 64-Bit versions need some special treatment to make them work on a Mac (but they -do- work).

If you have a 64-Bit version of Vista, read this:
    http://simpable.com/software/mbp-64bit-vista/

It involves some work, but it's worth it. Vista 64 is rock solid and fast.

4. panicwaves thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i am using a 32-bit vista cd, and yes i have done it through boot camp assistant directly, not through disk utility. i am going nuts, have tried everything possible. looked at all those mac forums, but still dont have a solution :(

5. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Why don't you delete the Boot Camp partition (via Boot Camp Assistant) then start fresh?

Maybe someone else knows the answer to this: I know to install XP, it needs to be SP2 (not SP1 or SP3); are there restrictions on Vista, too (e.g. - do you need to install Vista SP1, or just Vista then upgrade to SP1 after install)? Just a thought....

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Bizarrely, Vista with SP1 slipstreamed in does NOT install properly on some Macs, but Vista without any service pack works, and upgrading the no-SP Vista install to SP1 manually also works.

7. panicwaves thread starter macrumors newbie

yeap have deleted partitions and created new ones again like 10 times already haha. even tried diff sizes, 3ogb, 33gb, 32gb, 25gb, etc. oh dang i have the vista with sp1 in it. is there any other way to get boot camp to work? i dont wna have to buy a new disk :(

8. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

NVIDIA now has the mobile version of the drivers on their site now so you no longer need to use laptopvideo2go.