Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
I installed Windows Vista on Bootcamp and left it running overnight last night in Windows and it appears the computer had restarted. I turned on the monitor and saw the login prompt for Mac OS. Any ideas on why it might be restarting? I'm guessing the computer went to sleep while I was in bed and had some issue there.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
A Windows install will restart your computer several times to finish the installation. It is best to hold down the option key while it is restarting and send it to the Windows partition.

If you don't do this the Mac can boot the wrong OS and go into OS X.

switcher3365

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
Perhaps there was a Windows update. Windows will just download and install the update, then restart the computer on its own. I don't believe there is a way to restart Windows without pressing the option key at the beginning, so when Windows is "restarted" in Boot Camp, it will go straight to MacOS X unless told to do something else.

smb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
I think you're right switcher. I restarted the computer booting it into Vista and it said it was still installing updates. It's kind of stupid that it decides to restart it on its own instead of asking if you want to restart.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I think you're right switcher. I restarted the computer booting it into Vista and it said it was still installing updates. It's kind of stupid that it decides to restart it on its own instead of asking if you want to restart.

This is probably what happened. Windows does restart occasionally unless you tell it not to. And when your preferred boot is set to OS X an automatic restart boots you into OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.