Windows Vista says 3gb RAM but I have 4gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iSamurai, Jan 16, 2008.

1. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

I've just installed vista on my macbook, which has 4gb of ram, and OS X also says 4gb. But windows is saying 3038mb in system properties. I've also installed all the drivers, but I haven't activated windows.

I've heard that vista starter edition can only use up to 3gb but I've installed ultimate edition :p

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

You need a 64bit OS to recognize all 4GB of RAM... Since bootcamp does not support 64bit windows, you must use 32bit which is why you only see 3GB. Nothing you can do about it, just use it as it is.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You need 64-bit edition to use more than 3GB RAM, and Bootcamp doesn't support it.

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

In a system with 4GB, 32-bit Windows operating systems set aside 1-2GB for the system and 1-2GB for the applications. So in general, you see 3GB available for applications.

Intel's architecture also "shadows" some system BIOS and other code into memory. The most I have ever seen in a 32-bit install of WinXP or Vista is 3.5GB free.

6. r-gordon-7 macrumors newbie

Will 4GB be recognized using 64-bit Vista & Parallels?

r-gordon-7

7. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Yes it should be as this is NOT a hardware limitation but a SOFTWARE limitation. This is provided you have the Santa Rosa Chipset. Why on earth you would want or need 64bit vista to run virtually is beyond me.

8. r-gordon-7 macrumors newbie

Well, because I have both versions of Vista (32-bit & 64-bit) available to install at no cost to me, because I will need to continue to run Windows on my 4GB Macbook (which will be my first Mac - it's still on order, supposedly to be shipped this week - previously I've only used PCs), because I don't have a copy of XP SP2 to install on the Macbook so the version of Windows I'll need to install is Vista, and because as long as I'm going to have 4GB in my Macbook, I might as well have Vista (which as we all know is highly memory intensive) be able to access all of it... So, if the 64-bit version using Parallels is the only way to do it, why not...?

r-gordon-7

9. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Umm, OK but Vista being highly 'memory intensive' is a misconception. I have 4GB of ram in my MBP and my PC (in sig). I run 64 bit vista on my desktop and with only firefox open taskmanager says I have like 2MB (not GB) of free memory. OH NOES! Heh, Vista actually manages memory much better than XP did, it CACHES as much memory as it can for rapid program deployment (part of superfetch). If memory is needed elsewhere Vista will immediately free up cached memory to use elsewhere. So, your misconception is that it is memory hungry, reality is it makes much better use of whatever amount of RAM you have. With that said, XP runs FAR BETTER than vista virtually, been there done that.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

True, but it doesn't exist in 64 bit windows.

I've just remembered that you can also get around this by editing a registry key, maybe try the steps here, but they are for XP. There is probably a better solution buried in this Arstechnica thread, I remember reading about it, so its probably before my last post (or shortly after) which is on page 4.

11. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

There is no way around the limit in 32 bit Vista unfortunately... I don't think XP either... switch PAE on does not work.

12. pr5owner macrumors 65816

that is true, however it increases power consumption and memory usage and therefore increases heat, heat is the #1 killer of electronic components, and the MBA being so thin, it probably wont take well to heat (lack of heatsinks).

i dont actaully recommend running vista on an MBA

13. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I bet Apple is glad you are not on their marketing team.

14. chewietobbacca macrumors 6502

The voltage you put across the memory affects heat and power consumption more than actual use

And yes, x64 Vista on the PC w/ 4gigs runs just smooth and memory has never been an issue