Windows Vista vs. Mac OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CaptainCaveMann, Sep 27, 2008.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Ok so my friend just bought a new Lenovo Laptop with Vista on it. It has a dual core processor and 2 gigs of ram. The internet on her computer is so snappy and fast. On the other hand when I use the internet in safari (I'm running Leopard) it is slooowwww. I do have an iBook g4 and 768mb of ram. Could that be the culprit or is IE in Vista just plain faster?

I was also told that a lot of websites are built more around the Windows platform and that could be why they are snappier to?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm going to say that your G4 is just getting old.

No need for an operating system war. :rolleyes:

3. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Who wants to go to war? Relax, I just want some technical answers for my observations. Have one?

4. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

Hey dude, the older your comp is the more slower and slower it will get, cause of all the spyware and adware. It is also the fact that your friend has 2 gigs and you barely have 1. That makes a huge difference, even from 2 to 4 its a huge difference.

5. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

The OS makes little difference. It's almost entirely going to be determined by your hardware. Obviously, the G4 is an older processor and you have less memory. Adding more memory is the easiest and most effective way of speeding up your computer.

Both Leopard and Vista work fine, so the OS here is going to be a moot point.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

He has faster internet connection that you.

7. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Are you saying that his iBook G4 is running slowly on account of all the adware and spyware on it? If so, I highly doubt that's the case.

8. phoobo macrumors regular

doubtful

1) is doubtful, particularly on Safari.

2) is highly doubtful for most users. Have you ever checked your memory use real-time? With just a browser open you can't even see 2 gigs with the Hubble space telescope. Even with 5-6 common proggies open.

9. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

I think that's your problem. My 1-year-old MB boots slow, and isn't as 'snappy' as I'd like it to be.
    I'm just hoping Snow Leopard will sort all of that.

10. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Websites are generally geared toward compatibility with IE rather than Webkit (Safari's rendering engine) but that shouldn't affect the speed, really. Are you two using the same internet connection? His could simply be faster than yours.

Most likely, though, it's just because your iBook is fairly old, now, and his Lenovo is brand new. In addition to processor and RAM, your iBook probably has an older wireless chip (if you're using wireless).

Odd. My 1-year-old MB is just as snappy as ever.

11. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

I recommend at least a 1GB RAM for Leopard. Try running Onyx and do maintenance and cleanup to see if it helps. If you don't do it for a while, you might notice a big difference in speed after you do the maintenance.

12. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Define slow.

What else are you doing when you are surfing the net? Downloading (Torrents/Limewire) anything, uploading or sharing anything?

13. Desamell Guest

Because you have an old computer single core G4. He a dual core 2 gig ram computer. And why does he use IE? IE SUCKS

14. Desamell Guest

Also probably he has Wireless N and you have G or B im not sure

15. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Has everyone gone crazy? Computer speed has nothing to do with Internet speed.

Your internet connection is slow because your internet connection is piss poor. That or because you havent emptied your cache in years. Open Safari, click on Safari in the menu bar next to the Apple logo, and go to empty cache.

It has nothing to do with computer speed.
    It has nothing to do with Spyware (since OS X is not prone to Spyware)
    it has nothing to do with wireless N or wireless G.

If none of that works, sign up with a better ISP service.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm sure that page rendering and plug-ins on the CPU doesn't matter. ;)

17. MrChurchyard macrumors member

Is this on the same internet connection? Safari 3 on Mac or not is faster than IE 7 on the same hardware.

18. AquaMethod macrumors member

The iBook G4 is barely fast enough to use Leopard; you probably should have stuck to tiger.

That said, it could be the old "slow DNS" problem. Does it take a long time for the page to even being loading, or does it kind of half-load, and take its time? And you are testing on the same internet connection, right?

It's not a matter of Vista or OS X. I use both of my MacBook Pro, and Safari on Leopard is noticeably faster than any Windows browser, though all are pretty quick.

Also, people. Read. His friend is female. Which means you use the female pronoun "her." It's not that hard. :p

19. myjay610 macrumors regular

There's a lot of variables involved in this, from the speed of the actual connection to the performance of the computer. Just because safari is already open doesn't mean the computer isn't using resources for other processes behind the scenes, which could affect application performance regardless of connection speed. The generic bottom line is answer is 'yes' - it probably seems faster on the windows box because it's a brand new computer versus a much older computer. Compare it with a new MBP or MB and it will probably appear to be just as snappy.

20. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Ok well I think it probably has more to do with my connection speed than hardware. Because the only thing I'm running is Safari, and not downloading anything at all. I'm going to take my computer over there today to test out the internet. I'll report the results later today.

And for the poster who says I should have stayed with Tiger, you couldn't be more right. Ever since I upgraded to Leopard, my computer has been a lot slower, I think this OS is just to much for the ibook.

21. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

It's just that it's faster hardware and the fact that her system is new that its faster.

Both my iMac and MacBook came installed with Tiger, but my MacBook came with a Leopard disc in the box (I bought a full retail copy for my iMac) and my MacBook is significantly faster than my iMac (especially in booting).

22. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

First, I'd agree that Leopard is a bit too much for your iBook. Tiger was probably a better choice.

In regards to your original question, there are so many variables other than just the OS (as others have pointed out). You're comparing a few years old PowerPC G4 + not even 1Gb RAM to an Intel Core 2 Duo + 2Gb RAM, with a different internet connection. You can't really compare them.

23. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

QFT

This says it all.

24. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

No, i don't imply that. Your internet speed in based of your ISP i.e. your internet service provider. More ram will help you boot up safari faster.

Try this maybe it will work.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=358919

25. phoobo macrumors regular

not true

This is not true in most cases. It is only true if you are operating at your ram limit. Certainly not true if you boot up and load Safari cold.

More RAM only speeds up your machine if you are using all your available RAM to begin with. Otherwise it doesn't make a bit of difference.