Windows Vista

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
California
scheuled to arrive second half of 2006,will leopard be done by then?

just curious...so what do you all think of vista? what do you think the future of compatibility will be for mac and windows?

-Peter

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2005
I have a feeling windows vista is going to be a 95% copy of Mac OSX...if that's truly the case...I'll regret switching to apple.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
AcousticDoc said:
I have a feeling windows vista is going to be a 95% copy of Mac OSX...if that's truly the case...I'll regret switching to apple.

I don't think anything Microsoft releases could make me regret my switch. :confused:

kant

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2004
Mood said:
what's so special about vista
It's Longhorn's new name.

M$ made so many promises they're not going to be able to come through on that they had to rename it.

kant

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2004
AcousticDoc said:
But the other 5% will be virii, spyware, adware, DRM, etc.

So I doubt you'll be feeling much regret.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Pistol Pete said:
scheuled to arrive second half of 2006,will leopard be done by then?
That's what Teh Steve said. It's a lot easier for Apple to turn out a new release whenever they want, because they (usually) don't mouth off about new features until they have them up and running. So, if anything cool is cut, it's mostly invisible to the public.
just curious...so what do you all think of vista?
I think that in practical terms, it's going to amount to a reskin no matter how much things really change under the hood. An awful lot of the software out there is still happy with what Win 9x provides, and I have a funny feeling that won't be changing too much given that half the current Windows base still hasn't adopted the 5-year-old XP yet. There will need to be some really cool user-accessible services added to make it worth the trip.
what do you think the future of compatibility will be for mac and windows?
About the same as today, I suppose....