Windows Vista...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSE, Apr 12, 2008.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

sigh... I guess I am going to have to get Vista to run a game...

I have a question, my father works in IT, and went to a 4 week Vista training thing, and he told me that when he asked about how he should go about installing Vista on my MBP, the guy told him," Microsoft doesn't require you to buy Ultimate to use on boot camp anymore, you can use Home Premium or Basic, if you would like, we changed the license agreement."

Another interesting thing he said,"Microsoft also doesn't require you to buy a full retail package anymore, you can instead buy Upgrade and just install it like you would normally. We are doing this to boost sales." But when my dad asked him about OEM the guy told him that is still against the user agreement.

Any truth to this? I think I might try to install Windows Home Premium SP1 with an upgrade disc and see if it works, but I don't have a disc, so I will have to buy it for 90 bucks, and I am afraid it might not be compatible with Boot Camp.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I've used retail XP SP1, an OEM Vista Upgrade, and a retail Ultimate disk in the past and have had no trouble.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Microsoft have never required you to buy Ultimate to use BootCamp. The licensing restrictions were for virtualisation technologies only (VMWare and Parallels). BootCamp is just some drivers and a partitioner: Windows is installed on the raw hardware as normal.

There are ways of installing an upgrade as a full install but they are still against the EULA of that version.

My understanding is that you can buy an OEM version if you meet the licensing conditions: primarily you must buy hardware with the OEM version of Windows.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Any Vista is and was always fine for BC, only the rules have changed on Virtualization.

5. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

So I cannot install an Upgrade version just by popping in the disc?

6. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

I've used a Windows Anytime Upgrade CD before and it installed Vista on my MBP in boot camp just fine. The Anytime Upgrade CD does not come with a serial number, you have 30 days to buy one. But there are always ways around that...

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As I said there are ways of doing it (involving cancelling the install and installing twice IIRC). Do a Google search...

8. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Hmmm... do you think if I just downloaded Vista and put it to a CD, installed it on boot camp then used the Upgrade Serial # that would be legal?

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No. The upgrade is only licensed for upgrading existing, valid, installs of Windows. If you don't have one then nothing you do will make an Upgrade licensed.

And Upgrade serial #s don't generally work with anything other than upgrade installs.

10. jdaco6 macrumors regular

Having said that i have just bought Vista Ultimate upgrade from RM basement (student discount) and used the Upgrade key to fresh install the OS and it all activated fine!!!

www.rm.com/basement

11. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

did it ask you to varify you had an older CD (ie. XP?)

12. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

That was true for versions of Windows prior to Vista. However, it appears MS changed the rules for Vista in the interest of getting people to actually buy it.

Many reputable retailers sell it as a single item (no corresponding hardware purchase required) and MS is not sending them C&D letters so...

13. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

While according to the EULA, you're right. You can use the upgrade package to do a full installation of Vista with the Upgrade key and everything. Basically, you install Vista without using your key, then you "upgrade" it. You put the DVD back in, upgrade it, enter in our key, let it do its magic, and you have a genuine install of Vista using the Upgrade key.

14. jdaco6 macrumors regular

No, not at all!!

15. jdaco6 macrumors regular

Strange wonder what RM Vista Ultimate Upgrade was then because i dident have to install it twice at all, just once and it activated fine!!

It was the one here www.rm.com/basement (Cheap)

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I just bought an OEM of windows XP and installed it on my mac because any newly purchased computer can use an OEM disk, it does not have to be built by you. (Thats all the EULA says that I saw is newly purchased, not to mention newegg will sell OEM disks when you buy a new computer.)