Windows VM on Mac mini

russell_314

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I'm looking for advice on a good VM to run on my Mac mini. Years ago I ran Parallels Desktop because I liked the integration with OSX rather than running it in a Window. I looked into it now they have some nasty limitations unless you pay a subscription for the "Pro Edition". I'm not really excited about paying subscriptions for software so I was wondering what VM you guys use. I could do Boot Camp but I really like the idea of not having to reboot if I need to run a particular Windows program.

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I thought Parallels also had a buy one time version? But I agree, I too do not like subscription software. I guess you could always try the free VirtualBox from Oracle. It doesn't have all the frills that Parallels or VMWare has, but it does work to provide a fairly good VM of Windows.

russell_314

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Parallels offers the one time purchase.
They offer a limited version for one time purchase. If you want the full version you have to pay a $99 yearly subscription. I guess it's not a lot but I would rather not pay every year
[doublepost=1550606755][/doublepost]
33EB4A11-89FC-487D-8037-BE740F5B2F28.jpeg

russell_314

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
If by the limited version you're referring to the "Standard Edition" shown above in your supplied chart, why is that not sufficient for you?
The CPU limitations don't bother me but in 2019 limiting to 8 GB of RAM seems a bit restrictive. I can see if they had a free version with this restriction but not for eighty bucks. I realize the market strategy is designed to push subs here but I was hoping someone had a suggestion for a similar alternative that I could outright purchase without having to pay a subscription to unlock the full version. I've been away from Mac for about ten years so trying to learn the changes.

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
You do realize that the 8 GB of memory limitation in the Standard version only refers to how much memory you can assign to each VM? 8 GB should be enough memory to run most Windows apps with maybe the exception of a memory hog program.

However, I get your point about spending the $80. I upgraded my copy of Parallels twice, once it was discounted but the next time it was expensive.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
You do realize that the 8 GB of memory limitation in the Standard version only refers to how much memory you can assign to each VM? 8 GB should be enough memory to run most Windows apps with maybe the exception of a memory hog program.

However, I get your point about spending the $80. I upgraded my copy of Parallels twice, once it was discounted but the next time it was expensive.
I will try it. Most of my Windows 10 machines have had at least 16 GB so the 8 GB seems a little bit low but maybe in VM it's okay. My last Mac probably had 2 GB LOL